Added water after day 5 of plaster completion

May 22, 2012
I just had my pool replastered and it was filled 5 days ago. The pump/filter has been running 24 hours a day and we have been brushing the pool 4 times a day. Today the water level was a little low, so I added some water with the hose, so it was back to the middle of the tile level. Now there is a HUGE light colored streak down the deep end, like the hose water did something to the plaster. The hose was not touching any of the pool, just laying off the diving board into the deep end. Has this done permanent damage/discoloration?!

You need to be actively monitoring the PH and adding acid as needed to keep the PH at 8.0 or lower. Acid additions are likely required daily and possibly more often. If the PH gets too high, which it will tend to do if you ignore it, you will get calcium scaling, which could well account for your white streak.

You should also have a couple of trichlor tablets in the skimmer(s) and be running the pump 24/7.

Fresh plaster will raise the PH, TA, and CH levels rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and more slowly for up to a year after that.

I found where I wrote down yesterdays results, before I added chemicals and when the water was running into the pool:
Chlorine:0
PH: 7.8
Alkalinity:110
Cyanuric Acid:0
Hardness:150

At that time I added 1qt of Acid, 5lbs of Calcium, 2lbs of Cyanuric Acid and 1 Gallon of Chlorine.
Its a 30,000 gallon pool
I was instructed to add another 5lbs of Calcium and 2lbs of Acid today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your test results suggest that calcium scaling is quite unlikely, which rules out my primary theory about what is happening.

Is your plaster colored or have quartz or pebbles in it? Or is it just plain plaster?

A picture would help tremendously for diagnosing possible causes.

IMO, adding water from a hose five days after plastering is unlikely to cause a streak. But I suppose it is possible. Please provide a tap water analysis.
Plasterers have a difficult time preventing Gray pool plaster from streaking, especially if plasterers don't understand the right procedures to take when plastering. Is there a possiblity the streak was there before adding water, or not?

Did you dilute the acid in a bucket of water and walk it around the pool, or did you add it where the streak is? Did the CYA sit on the plaster where it is streaked? OR were these chemicals added after the streak appeared?

The streak was not there before I put the hose in. The acid was not added in that spot, yes it was walked around the edge. This is a reputable company that has been doing this for over 20years. There are some very tiny variations in the plaster, which i understand, however this is a HUGE streak like 5 feet long and 3 feet wide and it fans out as if it was exactly like a spray mark.
A tap water analysis??

Buy some wet&dry sandpaper, 100 grit. Sand lightly one small area for a few seconds and see if any different.

Probably no need to test your tap water because the water in the pool is probably about the same as the tap water that filled the pool.
110 TA and 150 CH is decent tap water. I don't see a problem with that. The fact that you have been brushing the pool every day also makes it unlikely that the light area is scale.

Light streaks on dark colored plaster jobs could also be the opposite of calcium scaling. If water was splashed on the new plaster surface before filling, believe it or not, that situation can result in a light colored streak, but not appear immediately.

I suggest you call your plasterer back out to look at the pool. Since he is reputable and experienced, then he should have an idea of what caused the problem and should be able to help out.

Still would like to see a picture if you can post it. Take it when the pool is shaded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.