Algae Wars - Day 10

1st - Thx for the site. I really appreciate the knowledge that is shared.

As the title says - I'm into day 10 of Algae Wars.

7000 gallon spool - in Phoenix.
Pebble Tech.
Cartridge Filter.
2 speed pump. Running on high 24/7 except for a few hours down time when I found a leak in the plumbing.
Testing with Taylor 2006.

When I started:
Ph was 7.3.
CYA was 70.
I've been targeting FC of 30. On weekends I can stay on top of it. During the week I test morning and evening. My wife tests once midday. Given the sun, we lose a lot of FC during the day. My overnight test last night dropped 2. During the day it drops to 22 at midday and again by the time I test in the evening. I brush twice a day.

The water is clear. No sign of algae. My problem was mostly on the walls. The water has always been relatively clear.

I didn't realize the effects of high CYA until reading here. I was over 150 before I did a drain. Not backwashing the cartridge filter just keeps the number ever increasing (lesson learned).

Any advice from here would be appreciated?
Are there any properites that I should be testing other than FC right now?

TIA!!

Actually, you seem to have a really good grasp of the shock process and you are doing everything correctly, I think.

What will be your ending CYA and how will you chlorinate your pool once the shock process is complete (you are close :goodjob: )

Bama Rambler said:
I think what Dave meant was what CYA are you going to try to reach once your done shocking. Are you going to just leave it where it is, or are you going to try to lower it some more?

Got it.

Well, I already rented the pump and did the drain before the heat came. I pulled out enough to get to 50 based on a CYA reading from the pool store.

I was aiming for 50, but got to 70. I don't believe the pool store measurement was accurate. (This was before I bought the Taylor test kit - another lesson learned).

So I'll continue to pump out some water a couple of inches at a time until I get down to 50ish.

My most efficient water dumpers are my labs. lol

Still at it.

I'm back to losing 6 or more PPM every night and the daytime loss has increased as well.

Not sure the cause, but here are a few things that have changed.

1) We had a front move through with lots of wind Thur/Fri.

2 ) Friday, I decided to clean the filters. Got that done. Noticed the o-ring that seals the filter halves was a little stretched but it seemed to go back together. Started up the pump. No leaks. Came back about an hour later and about 18 inches of water were drained out of the pool. The seal had let go big time. Found a new o-ring on Saturday afternoon and restarted the pump and testing/shocking.

3) My waterfall has an a separate line for an attachment that I never used. I switched the valve over to run some water through that line.

4) Started using a new bottle of DPD Powder. It looks a little more coarse than the 1st bottle that came with the kit.

So any thoughts? I've been at this for 2 weeks. I never had really green water. The pool is open year round. But was getting algae on the walls.

Given the partial drain and refill, can I retest the CYA at these high FC levels?

Thx again!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.