pool vacuum has no suction

Are there any bubbles in the pump basket?

You probably have a suction side leak.
The basket lid o-ring. Inspect, clean and lube it well.
The pump drain plugs. Remove and reseal them.
The skimmer weir. Make sure it's working freely.
The water level in the pool. Make sure it's not creating a vortex.

my vacuum still is not working. it worked for a bit and than stopped. i am not very good when people say check this and that so if you can break it down that would be great. What is a suction side leak and what is wrong if there are bubbles in the basket?

helpme1 said:
my vacuum still is not working. it worked for a bit and than stopped. i am not very good when people say check this and that so if you can break it down that would be great. What is a suction side leak and what is wrong if there are bubbles in the basket?
bubbles in the basket means the pump is sucking air, not water. It would be like you trying to drink from a straw that wasn't submerged in the drink.

You need to fill the vacuum hose with water before you attach it. Easiest way is to push it down starting from the vacuum head and let the water rise up in the hose, then attach it.

How is your pressure when before and after you start vacuuming? I often lose suction when I vacuum and typically do one of the following.. turn pump off and then back on, or set valve to rinse for a quick one and then back to filter. This usually gives me my prime and suction back. I don't know why either, I'm guessing I have a suction side leak as well.

"It would be like you trying to drink from a straw that wasn't submerged in the drink."

Or a straw that had a hole in it. You can still get some drink but not as much as if it didn't have the hole. Same applies to water.
It's a leak on the pipes that go from your skimmer back to the pump area. If there is a leak then the suction side pulls in air at the spot of the leak and the suction is lost on the water. You get some water with suction but not enough to hold a suction on the vacuum.

Have you checked the basket for bubbles yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.