1st water test

Apr 17, 2012
Long story short... I'm in the process of filling my 30x60 in ground gunite pool. This is my 1st pool and 1st everything related. I'm going to be using the BBB method this summer and have been stocking up on all the 3 B's. I ordered the K-2006 test kit but it is on back order and I won't have it till late next week. The pool is almost filled and the filters should be running by Thursday. A friend at work let me borrow her test kit which is ColorQ Pro-7 and I tested the hose water going in.

My results
Free chlorine/bromine - 0.34
Total chlorine - 0.52
PH - 7.2
Total alkalinity - 35
Calcium hardness - 33

How do my numbers look? Once the filters are running what should my next step be?
Thank you for the help... I'm so new at this :)

You need chlorine. Even if it means you have to mix it in by brushing, although pouring it into the fill hose stream would do lots to mix it. That chlorine won't last long without stabilizer, so you need to get some of that in too.

Sadly, you're still working blind, or close to it, without your own test kit. Your best bet is to re-read pool-school/temporary_pool_guide Ignore the Temporary part - it's the same process.

Welcome to TFP! There are a lot of people that love to educate others on pool care. However, we need you to do a few things before we can help you.

1. Put all of your pool details in your signature line. Click above on User Control Panel --> Profile --> Edit signature and include your pool and equipment specs.

2. Go to Pool School and read read read. The link is in the upper right corner of every page. This will give you the foundation you need to ask questions and understand the answers.

Is your water municipal or well water? Based on the numbers, the water looks really good to start with. I'll let the experts advise you what to do next.

My test kit will be here next week.... Should I start adding bleach now or wait till the filters are running? Where do I get stabilizer? And should I start adding it now also? Once again sorry for being a newbie, I'm sure I will get the hang of things real soon.

ac09lude said:
My test kit will be here next week.... Should I start adding bleach now or wait till the filters are running? Where do I get stabilizer? And should I start adding it now also? Once again sorry for being a newbie, I'm sure I will get the hang of things real soon.
I, personally, would add the bleach now, before it starts turning green. But it's your pool; How confident are you that it will be circulating with the pumps in 48 hours???

CYA can be purchased in the pool section at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, even at a - gasp - pool store. Sometimes called stabilizer or conditioner. Read the label, get the most concentrated stuff you can find and avoid any that may have copper or cupra- or cuprous- ingredients listed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.