DiamondBrite surface much rougher this year ???

Jun 18, 2010
I just opened my pool after it spent its first winter winterized and covered. I'm afraid the surface of the Diamondbrite has become much rougher where there was water, and is still smooth like it was last year where there was not. In other words, if I slide my hand down the sides of the wall, its smooth to the touch until I get to where the water level was left at for the winterizing. Then it is quite irritatingly rough. Same thing on the steps- first one is fine, rest of them very rough.
The Vii cleaner is also picking up a lot of white sand, requiring frequent emptying of the bag because it fills up to the sand line and the robot begins to go upside down etc.
It seems undeniable that my plaster has suffered somewhat.
I'm assuming that this isn't a product failure, but I did check the pH and CL levels mid-winter and added acid and bleach. They were off but not horrendously off.

MY QUESTION(S) IS: is this typical of a brand new pool going its first winter and now should settle in? And what do I do now about the rough surface?

Afraid you're right. Is the scaling reversible with keeping my pH around 7.2 and brushing everyday like the initial days of the pool?

This will tear the kids feet up if it doesn't improve.

JohnT said:
What do your test numbers look like?

Well, now my pH is 7.2, FC is 5, CYA is 50. I don't trust myself on the CH test. I put the 20 drops in, and then the 5 drops, and it SLIGHTLY turns pink, not red. Then, after 20 drops of the next bottle, it is the slightest pale blue (but that might be the sky, or me hoping). I went up to 50 drops and it didn't change, and I stopped wasting my test kit.

I've swept till my triceps were barking, but it hasn't seemed to do a Dang thing yet.

So is the roughness that I feel actually "scale", and no long term damage was done?
Or is the roughness frOm exposed aggregate and I lost some plaster cream? If anything, my pH was high, not low, and the pool always needs acid.
Thanks for any advice.

Yes, you have scale, so the plaster is intact underneath it. If it's not too bad (not scraping/cutting you or your family), you can just keep your pH on the low end of the range, brush a lot, and it will eventually go away. A quicker, more expensive approach is to drain the pool and have an acid wash done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.