Pool cleaner side suction blocked...

May 22, 2012
Hi all, noob to the forum. I've dealt with a blockage between the skimmer and filter, good ole plunger method but recently I noticed the Hayward not moving. I did the usual, pulled it, checked for debris, now I do have to add I get a lot of Crud in my pool every day. So I tuned the valve to full pool cleaner and very low suction and psi dropped to 2. I just replaced the pump 6mos ago as well as the DE filter screens so I do think I've got a blockage somewhere between the side pool cleaning port and the valve.

Is there an easy way to troubleshoot this or am I looking at calling someone?

Bama Rambler said:
You can unhook the cleaner and see how much the filter pressure changes when you select that line. You could also use hose to backpressue the line.
I did unhook and it's still @2 psi so it's definitely bogging down, when I turn back to skimmer it runs like the boss. As far as the hose, you'd put it in the pool side correct? I'll give that a try this weeked.

jblizzle said:
No. I think you want to try to put a hose in at the pad and force the water back toward the pool to try to push the blockage back out and not further in.
Ahhhh right, pull the filter and go that way...hope that works and doesn't just come out the skimmer but hey, I'll try anything once. Thanks everyone.

I think the ideal way to do it would be close the skimmer valve, disconnect the pump from the suction line and put the hose in there ... hopefully you have union fittings on your pump.

jblizzle said:
I think the ideal way to do it would be close the skimmer valve, disconnect the pump from the suction line and put the hose in there ... hopefully you have union fittings on your pump.
Wow it's been a really long day, sometimes you just don't know how dumb you are till someone points it out :hammer:

Thanks for the advice. :cheers:

Chiz said:
That's what I had to do... Of course I did not have unions so I had to cut the pipes, clear the jam, and then go back with unions. It's much nicer now though with the unions.
I have no unions so I'm first going to try and clear it with just the hose and the valve turned to the cleaner. I'll update after I try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.