quick pool calc check, please

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
I just drained 1 foot of pool water and refilled, due to putting too much salt in for my swg. Our city water is high in TA (260) and moderately high in CH.
(170)

new test results: (tf100)
FC 6.5 cc=0
CYA 48
CH 220
ph 7.7 or 7.8
TA 150
salt - swg still averaging, but it was 4050 after draining only 6" off, hopefully will settle out at 3700ish tomorrow
water looks great, temp 72

how does my plan for fixing my #s look:
1. I was planning on adding 5# CYA today. goal = 70 This should bring the pH down to 7.5
2. put swg on 100% to see if it's going to make any Cl or not (still not sure if it ever has made any cl this season, but my salt was too high.)
I thought I'd try taking a sample at one of the returns in a few hours to see if the Cl is a little higher at the return.
3. over the next few days, keep pH in line with MA (add ma when I get to 7.8) and let TA drift down.
4. not sure if I should worry about adding CH since I have some in my makeup water.

Here's my dilemma: if the swg does not end up working, and I have to use liquid Cl until I can get a new one, aren't I going to have the water over-stabilized if I add the CYA now? Should I wait on the CYA till I'm sure the swg works?

sorry so many questions, but I'm concerned about making another time-consuming mistake!

thanks!

It shouldn't take hours to see chlorine in your return water. You can also check for small bubbles in the return too.

If you are relying on the SWCG for your salt reading, you should be using salt test strips. Unit readouts are notoriously inaccurate.

Be careful with the CYA. The test is not very accurate and is subjective. If you are confident with your measurement, add about half what you think you need to avoid overshooting.

Your TA won't do much dropping if you let the pH get to 7.8. Keep it closer to 7.1 for better results.

If your SWCG isn't producing, it might need the cell cleaned or replaced.

ran the swg at 95% for a couple hours
the water from the return is 1.0 to 1.5 higher in FC than the water across the pool.
is that about what I should see if the swg is functioning properly?

alright folks, bear with me. a little pool ocd going on here in the midwest...still not sure if my swg is working or not.

I added cya this am, shooting for CYA=65.
this morning's#s
fc=6.0, cc=.5 temp74
had the swg running at 70% all day.
tonight's #s:
fc =4.0, cc=.5 temp 80
water looks great

I have had so much trouble getting my pool chems going this spring!
the swg in particular has been a problem
what I'm concerned about is the Cl dropping even with the swg so high
is this normal or is this a problem? any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.