Jul 11, 2011
Northern NY
We opened our pool last week. How exciting it was to see the crystal clear water :whoot: - thanks to troublefreepool.com. Didn't know what to expect since this was our first winter.
We finally had the water topped off and the filter is running now. I did my first tests
CYA 20
TA 190
ph 7.5
FC 4.5
CC 0
I think I'll add a bit more CYA to bring it up to 30, but should I worry about the TA? Or can I leave it alone as long as the ph doesn't rise?
Thanks

I've dealt with extremely high TA for a long while. My fill water is typically around 480ppm. The water I trucked in to fill the pool originally was 240ppm, so I know the drill. It took me two years to get mine below 200ppm, with attention to pH and rainwater.

I just tried to stay on top of the pH and to go for the low end of the range. Try to keep it at 7.1 or 7.2, and you'll slowly get rid of your alkalinity. If you have the time on the weekends, adjust your pH a few times a day and use a fountain or the return angled up to accelerate the process.

No real need to be in a hurry, but if you are going to fight pH anyway, fighting it at the low end will eventually reduce your TA, while fighting it at the high end is just annoying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.