New Equipment Install - Test now?

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Hey guys/gals,

Took the cover off in preparation for a new pump and filter install coming up at the end of this week. The water was clearish with a green tint and is now full green from an algae outbreak. Should I do an initial test now or wait till the equipment is install and the water is circulating to test?

The install got pushed back til mid next week due to additional plumbing parts being needed so our pool is a nice Ninja Turtle Green right now. With the heat over the next couple days I'm sure it'll get even worse :(

Should I dump some chlorine in the pool or is that just a waste since their is no circulation?

On the bright side the plumbing setup is going to be much nicer and cleaner than the previous owners had it.

duraleigh said:
Should I dump some chlorine in the pool or is that just a waste since their is no circulation?
Wait until you can circulate water. Stock up on bleach and be ready to test often. :mrgreen:

have 15 gallons of 12.5% ready to go :) anxious to get this bad boy going! I do need to buy some more reagent for the chlorine test but i have enough to get me started anyway.

I'm curious to see where the cya reading will be...last year at the end we were barely at 30ppm and we lost chlorine at a pretty fast rate so I'm thinking we need to be in the 50ish range this year.

Also, whats the shelf life of muriatic acid? I have a gallon left over from last year thats been in the shed since then.

Where would be a suitable place to store the 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% chlorine?

I was thinking either the laundry room or basement but want to ensure its ok to do so first due to any potential off gassing hazards (if any) etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything in my garage that was unprotected metal rusted. What a mess. At first I thought it was because of the Liquidator, but we figured out it was the MA later. I have a show car too, luckily all I had to replace was the header bolts (they needed to be replaced anyway) and a few odds and ends. Some other parts we had laying around to assemble a 350 for a Jeep were almost destroyed. I did have to buy a new thermostat, it was brand new and turned to rust.

RobbieH said:
Everything in my garage that was unprotected metal rusted. What a mess. At first I thought it was because of the Liquidator, but we figured out it was the MA later. I have a show car too, luckily all I had to replace was the header bolts (they needed to be replaced anyway) and a few odds and ends. Some other parts we had laying around to assemble a 350 for a Jeep were almost destroyed. I did have to buy a new thermostat, it was brand new and turned to rust.

eeek. Where do you store it now, particularly during the off season?

I have a fenced off area where my A/C compressor and all my firewood is stored. I have some old steps from a spa I gave away, the guy didn't want the steps, so I use them as shelves and store it there. I'm afraid to even store it in my well-ventilated sheds after my experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.