Is my pump shot?

Mar 21, 2012
NC
Soooo, I bought a used pool off of craigslist (2 actually) and it appears that the pump I bought with the newest one is shot. I took it to the pool store and they plugged it up and said the pump would probably not last a day. He (the store owner) said the bearings are shot and he wouldnt put any money into it. I have always been weary of people taking advantage of the general public that is not as schooled in the pool/pump business. How can I find out if this pump is truly shot, outside of taking his word for it? Also, I have another pump/filter set up that I am going to test later today and see if it sounds better. Is it pretty easy to take the pump apart and put the two of them together to make a pump that works. If I have to buy a new one, I just have to and want a 2 speed pump anyway, but I was hoping to atleast get a couple years out of these.

If the pump is making a whining noise it means the bearings are going. They can last for years in that condition or fail right away, it's unpredictable.

If you are feeling a little adventurous you can find a motor rebuild shop. They can make the motor like new for a very reasonable price. It sometimes takes a little searching to find an appropriate place however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.