Backwashing questions

Martha_D

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2012
Putnam, NY
When do I need to backwash? I read somewhere something about the pressure... the pressure on my filter is around 20 right now.

also... should the main drain valve be open while backwashing or the skimmer valve or both?

You backwash when the filter pressure goes up by 25% over the starting pressure. If you don't know your clean filter pressure, you might as well backwash now so you can find out what it is.

You can leave the skimmer/drain valve(s) alone when backwashing.

apcparts_ECX271261_325x325.jpg

Like Jason said, when you get your starting pressure (right after you add your filter media), you set your green dial to match the black pressure line. When the dial reaches red you know it's time to backwash.

Typically you want the skimmer all the way open and the main drain partially open. You want the main drain at least partially open so the pump can still draw water even if the skimmer gets clogged and also so that the deep water near the drain gets circulated well. Having both on also improves the overall efficiency of the system.

Some pools work well with the main drain all the way open, others require it to only be partially open so that the skimmer will still skim effectively. If in doubt, go for partially open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.