Confused about where my numbers should be??

Aug 4, 2011
I love this site and completely trust the info I get from it. I'm just confused as to why the info i get from the pool store is so different? I shocked my pool last weekend and got my FC to 19 which is where the chart said it needed to be with my CYA. My total alkalinity was at 190, ph at 7.2. When i called the store and told them i shocked it and my FC was at 19 he acted like i was crazy. he said the highest they even test to is 10?? he also told me that my fc should be ok to keep it about 1 but the chart shows 3-4. Any ideas as to why the big difference?? Right now my FC is about 1 and cc is .5. Should i add some bleach to get my fc up? any suggestions on what number to set my chlorinator to?

ok. i just went home and tested everything. Here are the results:

fc = .5, cc - .5, tc = 1.0, ph 7.4, ta = 160, calcium hardness = 100 (the colors were pink then purple. i'm assuming that is red and blue?), cya = 48.

everything seems to be good. i had a my chorinator set at 2.0 so i'm not sure why my fc keeps dropping. do you think i still have alae? there is something in the deep end corners but when i used my net to get it out it looks like grass clippings?? i'm not sure what algae looks like. the pool looks pretty clear.

fyi - i shocked it last thursday and got my fc to 19 and i my overnight cl loss was 1.0.

thanks again for all the help. i still can't believe the pool stores do that. i guess i'm to trusting.

Pool Stores and the industry in general haven't acknowledged the chlorine/CYA relationship yet, so they keep recommending that the FC be kept between 1 and 3 regardless of what your CYA is.

Also their testing is suspect for many reasons. Most use test strips and a reader which gets dirty and out of calibration all the time. They don't take the care that you will with testing. So there are a bunch of reasons their testing is different than yours and there are several reasons they recommend levels differently than we do.

Which test kit do you have?

With a CYA of 48 your FC is way too low and you most likely have algae. I'd suggest running an OCLT to confirm. Or just go ahead and shock the pool till you pass the OCLT.

Please edit your signature to include your pool/pump equipment size/configuration. That way it's on every post.

It's hard to break free from the pool store mentality. "Shock is something you do, not something you buy." Please read Pool School's guide on how to -properly- shock your pool. pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Your FC is really low for your CYA level. The presence of any CC means that the chlorine is busy working to get rid of organics. There are much more knowledgeable people on here, but I would recommend getting your FC up ASAP. Once you complete the shocking, and can pass all 3 of the qualifiers, then I would look at regulating your SWG to maintain FC levels. I don't have an SWG so I'll leave any advice on that to more experienced helpers.

Quinsee said:
then I would look at regulating your SWG to maintain FC levels. I don't have an SWG so I'll leave any advice on that to more experienced helpers.
I don't believe they are using a SWG. It just sounds like an in-line chlorinator. Those use chlorine pucks or sticks.
Is this true?
If so I would avoid using those and the chlorinator unless you go on vacation or away from the pool for awhile. The pucks/sticks can add CYA to your pool over time raising the numbers. Your better off going with liquid bleach or chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
miahhough said:
yes. it's just an in-line chlorinator. sorry, i'm still learning what everything is called. so don't use the chlorinator unless i'm going to be gone for awhile? just add bleach daily?

That's what I would do.
I took my in-line chlorinator out and installed a SWG. I found it useless to manage/monitor (honestly, how much chlorine is it putting in when you set it to 2, or 6? you really don't know).
With Chlorine/Bleach it's easy to use the pool calculator to find out how much to add since you can use a measuring cup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.