Sand Filter acting as an SWG

ddd

May 22, 2012
Our new Sand Filter is in the mail. I see now I want an SWG too but don't want to purchase Combo Unit w/ Intex (return hassles, etc.) Can I just add salt to my pool and hope my pump system creates chlorine? It appears an electrical copper plate is what charges/creates/extrates(?) chlorine from salt. I think my Sand Filter has this plate according to intex parts site. In the combo unit it appears there is a copper plate assembly too. The combo is just 2 units (SWG and Sand) joined via a hose assembly.

So question is...if I just add salt to the pool will my Sand Filter system :wave: create chlorine? I can't guarantee I'm getting the copper plate but it was listed under parts replacements for sand.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

Simply adding salt won't do anything. Without a SWG, no chlorine will be produced. The SWG has specially coated plates that run a substantial amount of electricity through the water. Without that you don't get chlorine.

The Intex SWG is available separately. In fact, we don't recommend getting the combo unit because one part always breaks first and then you are stuck replacing the entire thing.

Thanks for quick response. Is there a post showing how to combine the 2 units? Before original post, I surfed plenty and the only hits were factory combined combo. Our pool is Intex 13 ft. dia. I think it's going to be too complex for us cause now I have 2 motors/pumps (1 for each unit). Hope it's a simple solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.