May 7, 2012
Huntington, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
I'm a new user looking for advice/guidance on how to rehabilitate my old pool. It is a 18 x 36 "kidney bean" in-ground pool installed in late 70's, approximately 25,000 gallons. Concrete bottom with 3.5 foot fiberglass wall panels. Nothing fancy, with a sand filter and 1 HP pump. No salt generator. No heater, just a 16 mil clear-tek solar blanket.

The problem is that the fiberglass panels have quarter-sized blisters (probably a couple hundred over the entire pool). The blisters have been there a couple years (when I bought the house). A couple have popped off, revealing what I assume is the fiber mesh underneath. The concrete is in good shape, but will need painted or something.

I've looked at several different epoxy type paints...
Ultra Poly One Coat
Armorguard epoxy (by ecosmart)
Olympic Zeron
Pool Guard Epoxy High Build
...and they're all starting to blur together in my mind. one pool dealer said that they just paint right over the small blisters with the Ultra Poly one coat...Is that a good idea? I'm not sure what my options are for this big project. I'm not opposed to a DIY solution, either. Of course, I don't have a ton of money for this, but I'm hoping to find something that would last the next 6-8 years at least. By then, I'm moving! :D
Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm certainly no pool professional. I'm a first time pool owner myself but I grew up in Southern California and I was a surfer so I've worked a lot with fiberglass. You might consider a diy fix if money is tight. I've worked with fiberglass on surfboards and boats. It's not difficult. It's messy but not difficult. Google "fiberglass repair". It might be a consideration.
I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly to give you some professional tips.

Thanks for the tip! It's good to hear about working with the fiberglass. It's not something I've done before, but I'm generally a pretty handy person. And yes, hopefully others will weigh in on the epoxy paint decision :)

No-No-No to Ultra-Poly One Coat. I have a 50-yr-old inground, concrete bottom & porcelain-laminated steel (not stainless) sides. Paint's supposed to last 15 years, and was developed to coat steel or concrete silos,etc., for caustic chemicals. Only two things it can't guard against are sun and chlorine. Put in on in 2008 after extensive prepping. Had no bad weather conditions. 1st year it detached itself from the sides and took whatever was underneath with it. 2nd year it was in full chalking mode to the point my concrete bottom is now about 1/3 bare--never chipped on the bottom or anything, just chalked away to nothing. Getting ready to start grinding it all off. Best luck I've had is with Zeron, but it's very labor intensive due to acid & TSP washing, and having to use primer in most cases (Gunzite). Also stay away from Ultra-Guard--turned out it was a scam and guy selling it was a convicted child molester. After 35+ years, have to agree with what most say on here, painting is only temporary.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely staying away from the poly-one-coat based on your advice, and the fact that the local pool dealer wants $280/gallon for it. I'm leaning towards the zeron. While I realize it won't last forever, I haven't heard people having the premature failures with it, which is a good thing, obviously.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.