CH doesn't seem to want to rise

Apr 23, 2012
My CH had always tested around 280-300 ppm. About a month back I purchased a new CH test kit that gave a new reading of 220 ppm. I figured it was a good time to add to some calcium, so I bought 300 lbs of the Peladow calcium chloride pellets.

I got a 5 gallon bucket and balanced it on the edge of the rim flow gutter. Then I ran a hose into the bucket on low flow and added the pellets roughly 5 lbs at a time so that they would sink to the bottom of the bucket, dissolve in the current from the hose, and then overflow the top of the bucket with half landing in the pool and half going into the gutter and on to the surge pit.

I figured 300 lbs would increase my CH by about 50 ppm, but I'm only reading a 20 ppm increase here a couple weeks later. Am I missing something? Will it take longer to circulate? Maybe I have misjudged my pool volume? Turnover is roughly 6 hours.

Results as of today:
FC - 3
CC - 3
PH - 7.4
TA - 140
CH - 240
CYA - 0

I did use The Pool Calculator, quite the handy tool btw. I use the Lamotte Pro 250 test kit with liquid reagents. It's an Olympic pool, measured by vendors and our maintenance guys a few times at 660,000 gallons...give or take 10,000. :)

hey ringfiner,

I'm moving this thread to Chem 201. Most all info on indoor pools is kept there.

We don't have a forum for (one of) the largest pools, but if we did you would only have a couple members in there with you :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.