Filter clogged with pollen?

G

Hi there, I just joined but have found this site extremely helpful over the past 8 years since I purchased my home with an inground pool. I normally leave pool opening and closing to the pros, but maintain my pool myself. This year my pool opening has been a nightmare and I am hosting a large party this Saturday but my pool is still a mess!

I just had the pump motor and electrical panel and timers replaced because the motor was corroded when they tried to open the pool. I put in a SWG last summer which was fabulous, but apparently contributed to corroding the motor. They installed a sacrificial diode or something this year to hopefully help with that.

When they left on Sunday everything seemed fine, pressure was at 8, Polaris was running, skimmers had a good flow. Within 2 hours the pressure was at 20. I have to add that the bottom of the pool is covered in what I assume is pollen, I don't believe they vacuumed the pool when they opened it. So I backwashed (i have a push-pull valve only) and didn't notice a lot of DE exiting so I wonder if they could have missed adding DE and now my filter cartridge is covered in pollen?

I have skimmer socks on and when I checked the next morning there didn't appear to be any water flowing in the skimmers, the socks were caked with green sludge (pollen?) and so I removed them, rinsed them, put them back on, and it appeared to help. I did that about 3 times yesterday, and Did a short backwash (30 seconds worth) twice when the pressure climbed up again over 20. But by 10pm the polaris wasn't moving, the skimmer socks were clogged, and although the pressure gauge read only 10 I smelled something like burning so I shut the whole thing off.

They water is slightly cloudy but I can see they bottom and the dusty stuff covering it. I stayed home from work today to try to get this running properly so I can filter for a few days before the party. My plan was to manually vacuum the bottom, backwash like crazy, and possibly attempt to take out the grids to clean them. But I am panicked because I can't find the detailed instructions I had to do all that since I got them 8 years ago. I have no idea how to remove the grids or replace them when done. Any help would be much appreciated!

PS just got a text from the company that opened and they said that maybe the salt they added is caked on the grids? They added 4 bags of salt, but the system read only 1800 when I turned it on 24 hours later, with lights saying "no flow" "low salt" and " check cell" so I turned it off again. 17000 gallon pool, no liner. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

It is common for DE filters to have rapidly rising pressure when the water is dirty. After a few to several cycles of running till the pressure goes up and then backwashing and recharging the water should clear up and the pressure should start going up much more slowly.

Cleaning grids is fairly straightforward. If you figure out the brand and model of your filter we can probably find you an on-line copy of the manual with complete instructions. Even without the instructions, it isn't all that difficult and can be figured out as long as you keep track of where each part was when you started so you can put it back in the correct place.

Salt would not cake onto the grids. Salt dissolves very quickly and would not accumulate in the filter for more than a few minutes.

Your pool company doesn't sound especially competent.

Do you have water test results?

@JasonLion - Thank you for responding! The filter is a Pentair. I tried turning it on again just now and the pressure gauge didn't move, and seemed like it was making a gurgling sound, a little water appears bubbling out from there now.

I just took the water to be tested, I have one of the large Taylor test kits that are recommended on here but it seems I am out of most of the reagents. Here are the results from the pool store:

CYA - they couldn't get a reading in the store so I bought the only thing they had to test it (strips) and dipped, it seems to be in the low range based on the color, probably under 40. I put some stabilizer in an extra skimmer sock and hung it over a return jet.
TC - 0.6
FC -0
PH - >8.8
TA - 99
Hardness - 246

Salt was reading at 1800, which is also where it was reading before the pool company added 4 bags on Sunday. I have not turned on the SWG yet.

Test strips are a bit iffy, especially on the CYA test.

You should bring the PH down right away. Hopefully you still have some PH test reagent left so you can confirm that you got it down to 7.8 or lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.