I may be a chemist... but the pool is smarter than I am!

Bama: ahhh that's too funny... last night I put 2cups of bleach in with the intent to do just that.... even did the test an hour after adding and then another hour after that - both times the FC was 6... I was expecting the kids to have me up at the crack of dawn as usual... and of course, they let me :sleep:

I checked the pH and OTO Cl this evening, the pH is around 7.3/7.4 and the yellow was darker than the 5 so I'm not too worried. I'll do a FC tonight and then check it again in the morning.

The other thing I did was I put this large strainer sock in front of the return. We use these at work in our strainers - the guys were changing them out so I asked the boss if I could have one of the old socks, I had the intent to just cut a circle out of it and put it under the strainer basket to help keep some of the smaller stuff from getting to the sand. However, when I got sock home it was in pretty good shape so I turned it inside-out hosed it off, ran it thru the washer twice (1st with soap, 2nd with just water and bleach). I keep getting this fine silt all over the bottom of the pool, so I swept the pool several times last night with the pump running and the sock (it has a handle) hung in front of the return... the bottom of the pool was almost clean this morning. So this afternoon, I put the 6way in recycle and vacuumed the floor with the sock in place, clean... and I can tell that there is no sand coming from the filter :party: which I was really concerned about as I missed a step when putting the sand in... was supposed to fill the sand so far then fill with water.... missed the water step; however I was putting the sand in using a small cup because I didn't want the laterals sitting on the bottom so I wanted to make sure they were supported underneath with sand. SO anyone thinking about finding a slimebag or something along those lines might have the same success.

-wc

SO:
7.4pH; 4.5FC; 0CC; 170TA
-I'm calling the CC 0... the pink was so light that I had to look really really really close and normally I can see reds and blues very well so if there is any CC it's way less than 0.5... guess I could try a 25mL sample but that seems a little overkill.
-I didn't do the remaining tests because I haven't added water to the pool, maybe a little evaporation.
-I'm going to leave everything alone tonight, let the pump run and I'll check the FC again in the morning before the sun hits the water. Nice thing is that until about noon the tree in the neighbor's yard casts a shadow... I think it keeps the water colder - only in the low 70°F's - not so bad once you're in the pool, but going from 90° air to that 70° is a shock :shaking:
-wc

DW complaining that I'm on here more than she's on facebook!
Says that she's starting to regret getting the pool as I'm always playing with it now.
I asked her what did she expect when she gives a Chemist 15141 liters of chemicals
and a chemistry set to do... she should have known I'd have to play with the pretty colours!
:mrgreen:

Gota luv'em kids and wifes :)
-wc

So the tests I did last were at 11pm-ish (7.4pH; 4.5FC; 0CC; 170TA)
It rained sometime early this morning; however, I think wasn't very much - very dry summer, so I decided to go ahead and check the pH, FC, CC = 7.5pH, 4.5FC, 0CC (not even a hint of pink) - so I think we're good.

But with the rain returned my dirt on the bottom of the pool. :cry:
I wasn't expecting the rain so we didn't put the cover on the pool.

-wc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.