pH keeps going up

tlwilson

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
Nebraska
I have been using Liquid Chlorine 12.5% from Menards and notice that pH keeps going right back up after I bring it down. I use Muriatic Acid in amounts according to the Pool Calculator and usually bring it down to 7.4, then within a day or so it is right back up to 7.8 or even 8.0. Alk has been as high as 150, but has been 120 for a while now. My water is sparkling, crystal clear and beautiful. Should I bring pH down to 7.2 and then aerate to bring alk down further? Seems like I read that higher alkalinity makes it harder to keep pH in normal ranges. Am I obsessing about numbers too much? :? By the way, I love BBB. The only thing I pour in my pool is chlorine and Muriatic Acid.

FC 4.2
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
Alk 120
CH 270
CYA 40

Lower your TA, or let it come down from the acid used to maintain PH, and the rate at which PH rises will slow down and most likely eventually stop. High TA puts pressure on the PH to rise.

If you have to ask if your are obsessing, then yes you are obsessing. :) Relax, you are doing just fine and don't need to sweat ever detail.

Review the lowering TA article in pool school as some of your details were a little off ... aeration does nit lower TA it only raises pH.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
Review the lowering TA article in pool school as some of your details were a little off ... aeration does nit lower TA it only raises pH.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)
But it raises pH without raising TA. So with MA lowering both pH and TA, acid and aeration are the key to lowering the TA.

Slightly off the subject, but those results say you are not shocking your pool which would require an FC up around 12ppm or so with a CYA of 25ppm.
Chief makes a great point that is one of my pet peeves. The key to understanding how to PERMANENTLY lower TA is to understand the need for both acid and aeration.

Thinking of lowering TA simply by adding acid is not the comprehensive way to gain an understanding of the process.

Does aeration cool off the water? Being in Nebraska, we don't have warm water yet and we run the gas heater to inch the water up to 80 degrees. I hate to lose heat.

Also, I don't like handling muratic acid, but like it a lot better at $4 a gal than pool store costs for granules at $20. Is it OK to store in the pool room or does it need to be kept outside?

Yes aeration will have a cooling effect on the water.

You want to store the acid away from any chlorine (don't want it to mix), in the pool room should be OK although there are some vapors that are given off that can cause corrosion on metal.

tlwilson said:
Also, I don't like handling muratic acid, but like it a lot better at $4 a gal than pool store costs for granules at $20. Is it OK to store in the pool room or does it need to be kept outside?

See my sig. You can store it in the pool room as long as it's -AWAY- from any bleach/chlorine.

edit: Well, I just clicked the link and it seems to be dated. :rant: Mixing Muriatic acid (Liquid fully saturated with Chlorine) and Chlorine creates Chlorine gas which turns any water it contacts (mucus membranes) into Hydrochloric Acid. Bad stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.