Water test results and questions

Jun 10, 2011
Finally got a decent test kit (k2006), and here are my first set of results:
FC - 14.8
CC - 1.2
pH - 7.3
TA - 140
CYA - 60

The pH and TA agree with my previous kit (Pentair), and the CYA agrees with the pool store results. The chlorine is the main thing I've been worried about. Doing overnight test tonight. Brought pool up to 18 fc per the pool calculator for shock level. My water originally had a brown/yellowish tint and the pool store said I had iron present. I added metal magic and it cleared up perfectly one day, now it has a slight greenish tint, but no other evidence of algae. Until I have other suspicions, my plan is to shock until it clears the 3 hurdles. Any other thoughts?

Ok now I'm confused. The Pool Calculator said my shock level was 18, 34 for mustard algae. This was after I put in 60 for my cya level. The chlorine/cya chart says 24. I'll go with the chart, assuming I'm not doing something correctly with the Calculator.

They do differ. I use the chart up in Pool School because I have a printout taped to my screen for easy reference. The point is, keep your chlorine up by replenishing it often. We'll help you get a crystal clear pool.

Ok, had to go get more bleach. Checked the water at 1:00 and FC was 19.6, CC was 1. Added 50 oz. bleach per Pool Calculator to bring FC level to 24 as the chart says. I'll have to wait until 4:30 check it again (when I get off work). I'm going to try and post some links to a couple of pics below of the pool. If this works, the first one hopefully gives an idea of the slight greenish tint to the water.

The second picture is something I noticed last night. As I stated in my original post, I had an iron problem when I filled the pool. Could that be what has caused the line on the ladder leg? Hopefully you can see it (sorry for the shadow, didn't noticed until after I got to work to attach this pic). Could the rust that you see on my ladder add enough iron to cause more problems? I plan to clean it up and repaint it at some point, but I thought about waiting until after the season (which won't be until late August/mid-Septemberish).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utv13813q151qdh/Pool May 22

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kebwhvfe3adsf7/Ladder

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.