Vinyl pool wall collapse!!

May 21, 2012
Hello group, my name is Mike Smith and I live outside of Philadelphia PA. As you can see from my Headline, I got a big surprise when I pulled my cover off of the pool this weekend!!

I am searching to see if there is anyone that has gone through this in the past and has any suggestions. My pool guy sent me to a guy that I spoke to on the phone today and, without seeing any pics, he said that this was going to be a complete redo for $25k or you can fill it in and make a volleyball court. I hung up on him and hit the Net.
Any help would be great, here is some info.

my pics are not able to be loaded, but I have a 2-8 inch separation from my coping to the brick that surrounds the pool. There is a bulge in two areas along one of the long walls and one depression under the waterline. Th bulges are only about 3-4 inches into the pool and they are about the size of a beach ball.

Here is a link to some pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/msmith70122/PoolDamage

Pool Manufacture: Dream Pools
Liner Age: 5 years (no damage)

Thanks!!!

Welcome to TFP!

That is some fairly dramatic damage. The walls have supports underground holding them in place. To get that kind of shift either the entire support system has also shifted or the wall panels tore off of the supports. I mostly agree with your phone consultation that you are looking at major repairs to get back to like new condition. Depending on several details that aren't visible without digging, there is some chance that a simpler repair could let you get a few more years out it, but it won't be "right" without completely removing the wall and resetting it, which is a big job.

The pool we had when I was growing up didnt ever develop this kind of damage but during a liner replacement the walls were found to have rusted considerably and was going to be a pretty major repair to get it right. As all us kids were basically grown by then dad opted to go the volleyball court route but instead had a nice big japanese garden installed (that I had the pleasure of sodding the walking paths of).
I am not a pool expert but I cant help but think that any legitimate repair to that wall is not going to be easy or cheap nor will it be able to be done without a considerable amount of excavating. Like Jason said, there is a support structure for the walls under your pool deck that keeps the walls in place.
Good luck and hope you can come out of this without too much money

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.