WPB, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have just started using the pool this month and the water seems to be extremely cloudy + I can see some algae (very minor) forming on a shallow part (6-8" deep). Every time I brush the algae, it reapears.

Its also worth noting that we had a LOT of rain lately.

Data:
Pool 23000 gallons in ground
200 sqft cartridge filter
2hp pump
jandy 1400 SWG

Test results using Duraleighs TF-100 test kit (taken today at 8:30 pm 85 degree F)
PH: 7.8 (this drives me crazy and I add 1/4 gallon of acid on a daily basis)
FC: 3.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 4.0
TA: 80
CH: 340
CYA: 20-25 (did this twice)

Any advise on what should I tackle first? My plan was like this:

1. Add stabilizer in order to bring CYA to about 40-50
2. Shock the pool using Clorox.
3. Pray

Any advise/questions are welcome. Thanks,

J

Yes, all three returns are pointed upwards and agitating the water. Thats how the pool builder set them up, I am going to turn them down.

The pool just turned one year old this week, I thought maybe the PH was due to the plaster curing or something like that.

Thanks for the reply, J

I would shock with the CYA level you have now and then raise it up after you have a sparkling pool.

The pH is probably due to the plaster AND the aeration. Changing the jets should hopefully help some.

EDIT: Just realized you said the plaster was a year old and not a week old ... in that case the pH rise is not due to the plaster.

OK, so I will shock first. Just so that I understand, will having a lower CYA mean that I will have to check the chlorine level much more often while shocking?

Also does it make any difference if its raining while shocking the pool? It looks like I am going to have some rain unless I wait a couple of days.

Thanks a lot for all the help! J

When shocking you need to check the FC as often as you can and once an hour is preferred, no matter what your CYA level is. Hit it often and hard!

It doesn't make much difference if it's raining.

I agree with shocking with the CYA where it is now and raising it later.

One problem with your rising pH is the fact that you have such a low level of CYA. If you raise it you can turn your swcg down and thereby your rate of rising pH will slow down also. The eyeballs turned up doesn't help either. You can also let the TA come down to about 60 or 70 and that should help also. BUT, don't worry about any of that until you complete the shocking process.

OK, this is how the day went. I started this at 3pm, brushed the whole pool and cleaned the filter. Turned off the SWG.

Tested the pool and got these numbers:

PH: 7.8
FC: 4.5
CC: 00
TC: 4.5
CYA: ~20

I aimed to shock based on CYA of 15 since it was so low, but somehow screwed up by using 10% chlorine and ended up with these numbers

Time: 4:15 pm
PH: 7.3 (I added muriatic acid)
FC: 22
CC: 0
TC: 22

Then retested as follows:

Time: 5:05/6:05/7:30/8:40/10:05
FC: 20/18.5/18/19.5/19.5
CC: always 0

Not sure why after cleaning the filter (at 8pm) my FC went up, I tested it at different spots in the pool and it was consistent. I am going to let it be for today and retest early in the morning.

I also brushed the whole pool at 8 pm and cleaned all filters.

I have to say that the pool looks better, but at night its somewhat cloudy with the light on.

Thanks for all the help guys, will keep this updated.

J

Its worth noting that I started late because it was raining real bad throughtout the day. The day being overcast probably helped mitigate the loss of FC.

J

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The PH test is often off, or even totally wrong, when FC is that high. As a general rule it is best to not try to adjust PH when shocking. Given that you may have just lowered PH too much, the next time as your FC level drops below 15 you should check the PH again and adjust it up if it is too low and do that again when FC comes down to normal levels.

Last night I FC went down 1.5 points. I have been keeping up with the pool all day and kept the chlorine in check throughout the day ... I am sure tonight it will be fine.

The water looks clear and blue, much better than two days ago.

One thing I am not sure of why is that before my CC was 0 and now it is showing CC of .5. I wonder what could have caused this and whether its bad or not.

J

Today's recap:

Time: 8 am / 1:30pm / 3:30pm / 4pm / 5:30pm / 7pm / 8pm / 10pm
FC : 17.5 / 14 / 11 / 18.5 / 15.5 / 16 / 16 / 16
CC : 0 / .5 / .5 / .5 / .5 / .5 / .5 / 1

I added 1 gallon of 10% bleach @ 4pm, cleaned the filter once ... thats it. I am positive it will pass the overnight test, my only worry is the CC creeping up on me.

J

Overnight results:

10pm
FC: 16
CC: 1

7am next day
FC: 16
CC: .5

Should I start adding CYA now, or wait until the chlorine level drops off a little bit? I am going to try and aim for a CYA of 50 and then next week retest and up it to about 70.

Thanks for all the help guys!

J

Since you're so close to not passing the OCLT, If I were doing it, I'd do it one more night just to be absolutely sure I passed. I'm just like that though. Technically you passed it.

You could go ahead and start bringing your CYA up to the final level since you've passed the OCLT.

Dave,

Thanks for the advise. I rather follow your advise and keep it going one more day just to make sure. I will add CYA tomorrow morning.

I have the week off from work, if I was working I am not sure I would have been able to do this ... J

What's the water look like? Pics will help. The 1CC shows that something is hiding somewhere. Make sure you're brushing the heck out of the pool. When was the last time you cleaned the filter??

I myself would keep shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.