New product idea for Dave/TFTestkits

Mike_k

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2012
Mason, Ohio
Saw this thread with the great pictures of the pools (and a duck) from a Disney cruise ship and someone asked what the water levels were - and actually I was wondering the same thing. This got me thinking - I'd love to have a travel size test kit. With my new-found knowledge about water chemistry, it would be great to be able to test the public pools that we visit. I can't count how many times my kids have gotten out of a hotel pool with bloodshot eyes and/or smelling of chlorine. I've always assumed that these pools just had really high levels of chlorine in them, but now I know better. If I had a portable test kit I could test the water beforehand and have a much better idea what we were in for.

It wouldn't need to be anything fancy. I'm thinking just tests for FC, CC and pH. I'm not sure I'd really care about anything else. I was thinking I could just bring test strips, but if I'm going to bother to test I'd like to have reliable results. So smaller bottles of reagents, smaller testing tube with a pH scale - it wouldn't need to be as precise as the full size one, something like - below 7.2, 7.2-7.8, 7.8 +, all fitting in a compact box. Possible?? :-D

Interesting idea, but to know the correct FC level you would also need to know the CYA level (although in public pools, I am not sure they are allowed to use CYA ... probably varies with region)

Although the real telling thing would be CCs ... that causes the smell and can cause the irritation (along with pH being out of whack).

Interesting idea indeed! If you wanted, you could buy a small container to hold the reagents required for just those few tests. Most of the reagent bottles are pretty small already..but you could also get smaller containers to transfer them yourself. :-D

jblizzle said:
Interesting idea, but to know the correct FC level you would also need to know the CYA level (although in public pools, I am not sure they are allowed to use CYA ... probably varies with region)

Although the real telling thing would be CCs ... that causes the smell and can cause the irritation (along with pH being out of whack).

Good point on the correct FC level. I guess FC = 0 would still be useful. But you're right - the more telling results would be CC and pH.

blakej said:
Interesting idea indeed! If you wanted, you could buy a small container to hold the reagents required for just those few tests. Most of the reagent bottles are pretty small already..but you could also get smaller containers to transfer them yourself. :-D

Yeah - I've thought about that as well. I'd just need to get another pH tester - I wouldn't want to take the one from my big kit. I was also thinking maybe just get another full kit to bring on trips - just for the embarrassment factor. My kids would die if I pulled out a big test kit and ran samples for 20 minutes before letting them get in... :-D

Ohm_Boy said:
Honestly, I (and probably a LARGE number of members here) just distrust hotel pools right out the gate. I'm not sure I even WANT to know what their numbers are.

Hmmm. good point. I am with you on distrusting hotel pools. I'm pretty skeeved out by public pools to begin with. Before this week, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in a pool in the past 20 years. My thinking was having more information would help me make better decisions on whether I allow my kids to get in a pool or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to hijack your thread but another item that I would like to see Dave sell would be a new sticker for the top of the TF-100! You can only erase and rewrite so many times before it doesn't work so well anymore.

A couple of scenarios just flashed across my mind......

1. Mike_g is headed through the airport on his way to the resort with his new, mini micro TF-10 in his carry-on.

Security is fairly curious about the unusual shape of the TF-10 in his bag and the odd assorment of liquids with it so they ask him what it is. (seems natural enough to me at this point)

Mike_g proudly announces that he is taking it with him to test the pool water at the Kaluha Hula Walula hotel in Hawaii because he is suspicious of their water.

The next thirty minutes are spent with Mike being beaten mercilessly by TSA :shock: :shock: Dragging him off unconscious, they continue to give him some steel-capped boot kicks just for the practice.

2. Mike is the cautious type so he puts the Mini Micro TF-10 in his checked bag and arrives in hawaii tired, but ready for a refreshing dip. Mike drops to his knees by the pool side to collect a sample of pool water and begins to perform the tests with his Mini Micro TF-10.

Hotel security (who work their day jobs at TSA) get a gander at this and, (anyone surprised here?), beat Mike mercilessly for the next 30 minutes. As he is dragged off unconscious, they continue to give him some steel-capped boot kicks just for the practice. :shock: :shock:

Ok, Ok, you guys know I am kidding but, I swear, it was the first thing that went through my mind when I read the post. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry for being flippant. The problem with being so small is running out of reagents and taking sample sizes small enough but still retaining some accuracy. Most important, which tests would you leave out? If the pool was cloudy, I would want a CH test.

TSA: Keep everything under 3oz.
POOL: Use a water bottle to capture a test sample and walk away with it, to test in an inconspicuous place. Don't take your test kit to the water. This will help prevent nervous management types, as well as prevent public concern leading to panic.

---OR ---

Alternatively, you can hit the resort in most blatant visibility - black suit, briefcase, dark shades, in true Belushi/Akroid style. "Official business - give him room, everyone..."

Wow - talk about a rough trip to Hawaii... :roll:

So my plan has a few flaws. I would definitely pack the kit in my checked bag. Not sure what to do as far as testing location. I do like the Blues Brothers approach. :-D

When the other hotel guests watch me testing the water to ensure that it's safe for children everywhere to swim in, first they will thank me, then they will want to know where they can purchase a kit like mine so they too can be good parents and practice safe swimming for their family. Orders will be coming in from all over. Hotels will sell the Mini Micro TF-10 in their gift shops. The Mini Micro TF-10 will be a top ten item on Amazon. Safe Swimming will be the next revolution in family safety. Dr. Oz will have you and Jason on his show to teach the world about water testing. It will be a hit, I tell you, a hit! Taylor Technologies will be kicking themselves for not marketing this first.

The kit can come with travel size bottles for the reagents, and larger, refill size bottles that are left at home. So the kit should also include a CH test. We then have FC, CC, pH and CH. Anything else?

And just curious, what is the sticker that is on top of the TF-100? I hope the Mini Micro TF-10 doesn't need a sticker...

Dave, if the pool is cloudy are you just curious about the CH level or if it is out of whack does that actually pose a danger to swimming in the pool?

The idea was to determine how safe the water was ... not whether their plaster was at risk or if they may be in danger for scale.

Or is the idea if it was cloudy to check the CH to see if that could be the cause instead of something else that may not be safe?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Or is the idea if it was cloudy to check the CH to see if that could be the cause instead of something else that may not be safe?
Yeah, cloudy can be one of a hundred things....some no problem and some not so good. My point was it would probably be pretty tough to assemble something small enough that would include all those things we have become accustomed to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.