Very happy with my solar heating system!

Mayor

Jul 31, 2011
Eastern PA
With just a few weeks into the season the solar has been very impressive! We have 7 solar industries panels, suntouch control system, and intelliflow VRS+ ( something like that) pump. Everything works very seamless after sometime trying to understand how the system is designed.

Living in Pennsylvania we have some colder nights even this time of year. With the solar cover and system I can easily maintain 85 plus. My highest numbers were 89 over the weekend and it was delightfull.

Thanks for providing me with some ideas to set this system up!

Good to hear. I want to get my new solar system installed, but the idea of installing in on my roof when the weather is 100+ just seems silly ... although the pool certainly could use it as it feels kind of chilly :)

jblizzle said:
Good to hear. I want to get my new solar system installed, but the idea of installing in on my roof when the weather is 100+ just seems silly ... although the pool certainly could use it as it feels kind of chilly :)

Work on the roof and come down for a swim now and then! We are pumping up three stories so you won't see me on the roof.

Luckily mine is only 1 story and I think the slope is only around 8 degrees. But, I am not sure how soft the rubber roof coating gets with the sun beating on it ... certainly would not want to damage it after just paying to have it re-coated (the reason I removed the old DIY solar system).

jblizzle said:
Luckily mine is only 1 story and I think the slope is only around 8 degrees. But, I am not sure how soft the rubber roof coating gets with the sun beating on it ... certainly would not want to damage it after just paying to have it re-coated (the reason I removed the old DIY solar system).

I was not a big fan of mounting this system on the roof but after the temp numbers I'm getting it's so worth it.

Mayor said:
With just a few weeks into the season the solar has been very impressive! We have 7 solar industries panels, suntouch control system, and intelliflow VRS+ ( something like that) pump. Everything works very seamless after sometime trying to understand how the system is designed.

Living in Pennsylvania we have some colder nights even this time of year. With the solar cover and system I can easily maintain 85 plus. My highest numbers were 89 over the weekend and it was delightfull.

Thanks for providing me with some ideas to set this system up!

Is that with a heater or not?

jblizzle said:

One of the things that always amazes me is to see the roofing crews working during the day in Arizona. I'd head up there about midnight!

My wife likes our pool temp at 90 and with little effort the solar is keeping that number. Even without the cover I'm only loosing a few deg over night. Of course the weathers been really hot in the northeast. The only issue getting to 90 is if I have a lot of thunderstorms. They dump a few inches of rain and drop the air temp. This zaps a few deg out and if I don't have the sun it hard to make it up. With the sun normally within a few hours I'm back up to temp.

Still very impressed with what the solar can do. Cost to date after install is the electric to speed my pump up to deliver water to the roof. I'm really liking that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put up 2X4X20' Fafco sunsavers and I'm very happy with mine as well, northern Ontario can have cold nights as well, last year it was a fight to get into the low 80's, this year were up in the high 80's a lot and I end up turning them off.

Mine is on our garage roof and the panels were pretty straight forward to install, the PVC plumbing took a lot of work and cost more than I anticipated, but from here on it's all free heat.

One thing I'm still mulling over is whether or not to take them down for the winter, they are rated for freezing so long as they are drained, to drain I'll have to unstrap them and roll, at that point I'm wondering if I should strap them back down or just take them down. I'd prefer to just leave them up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.