Newb Planning to Clear a Green Pool

Bruce_Lei

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello, guys. I should first say thank you for being here for newbies like me & my husband. We are new pool owners (~2 months) & know absolutely nothing about pool care! :cry: But I am working on changing that & have been staying up til 2 or 3AM x 3 (or is it 4?) days, immersing myself in the pool school. :whip:

We have been enjoying our pool until it rained for a couple of days last week. The water just kept getting murkier & is now a solid, sickly green! :shock:

I had the water tested at a local pool store. Results as ff:
CYA 40
FC 0.6
pH 8.1
TA 78
CH 125 (calculated fr TH 188)

After all the late nights educating myself, I have come up w/ a plan. I would appreciate any feedback. I think we may need a little handholding...ack! I should say, I KNOW we need a LOT of handholding, so please bear with me if (& when) I ask seemingly stupid questions. So, here goes:

1) Order TF100 test kit - DONE
- Question: Should I wait for the test kit to arrive? In all honesty, I would rather start this
today, this evening.

2) Stock up on supplies - DONE
5 cases of 3/182oz per case of Bleach 6%
2 gal Muriatic Acid 31.45%
1 pk (6.12kg) Arm & Hammer Pure baking soda
- Q: Do I have enough to see this through?

3) Clean filter, skimmer, pump baskets. - DONE

4) Turn pump on 24/7.
- Q: Since I have a VSP, what speed should I keep it at? Right now it's as ff:
Speed 1 - 85% - OFF
Speed 2 - 65% - 9am - 1pm
Speed 3 - 45% - 1pm - 5pm
Speed 4 - 35% - 5pm - 9pm
-Q: Do I also keep the sheer descents & swim jet turned on?

5) Adjust pH level from 8.1 to 7.2. Using the pool calculator, I will pour 42oz of Muriatic acid on the deep end, near a return.
- Q: How soon can I test the pH? I will be using aqua check strips my PB provided
until the test kit arrives...

6) Do I also need to adjust TA before shocking? If so, do I do this before balancing pH? What TA level should I go for for my pool?

7) SHOCK! SKIM! SHOCK! BRUSH! SHOCK! BRUSH!
- With a CYA 40, my shock level is 15, I will pour 3 jugs of 182 oz of bleach, wait 1 HR, repeat. And brush the heck out of the pool during wait times. :whip:
-Q: If I'm doing this w/o my test kit, do I pour the same amount every hour on the hour
until pool water is clear? I have enough bleach to do 5 cycles tonight. Then have water
tested in pool store twice a day, early AM & evening, that is until my test kit gets here &
adjust shock levels accordingly.
- Q: Should I turn the chlorinator off while doing all this?

8) Repeat until an overnight FC loss test <1ppm.

9) Clean filters, skimmers, pump baskets as necessary.

10) Balance water chemistry.

11) :sleep: then :cheers:

Sorry for a long first post, but as you probably can tell, I'm itching to get started!

:thequeen: LeiA

Hello and welcome to TFP!

I can tell you have done your research, and it is nice to see a new member that is so well-prepared!

You COULD start adding chlorine now..but the TF-100 kit ships very fast, and shocking will be much easier and efficient when you have that kit.

It is tough to say if you have enough chemicals on hand (because the chlorine consumption will vary, as well as the time it takes to complete the shock process)
You are, however, well stocked for a great start!

Lowering pH with Muriatic Acid will also bring TA down.

You won't add the same dose of chemicals every hour..you will test the water, then use pool calculator to get the proper dose (and bring FC back up to shock level)

Yes, you can turn off your SWG. (and you should have SWG off when you get close to finished and do a OCLT)

1) :goodjob:
2) :goodjob: May need more bleach, but just get more when running low. May not need the baking soda at all at this point.
3) :goodjob:
4) Not sure, but I would think 35% would be fine overnight and easiest to program
5) :goodjob: Have to get pH in the low 7s before shocking as the test is not valid for FC > 10ppm. Generally need up to around 60 minutes of circulation to re-test
6) Ignore TA until after shocking ... around 80ppm is not bad anyway
7) Q1) Going to be hard before you get the test kit. You need to retest the FC every hour and then recalculate how much to add each time to get back over your shock level. You could put the 3 jugs in the first time and then just add a jug each day until your kit comes in , but it is all kind of a guessing game
Q2) What chlorinator? Is it pucks? Those would be adding CYA which is BAD.
8) and CC < 0.5 and water is clear
9) :goodjob:
10) :goodjob:
11) :whoot: :party: :whoot:

In all honesty, you should adjust your PH.........adjust your Ta..............and sit back and scratch your itch till your test kit arrives. Guessing at what level your shock level is at and how much you will need to maintain it until then is exactly that--a guess. It could very possibly save you time, frustration, and money just to wait so you KNOW how much of what to add. You'll get there! WELCOME!

Thanks for all the feedback! Is my OCD getting apparent? :p

Yes, I know we have the trichlor pucks. :oops: I believe that's why we have this algae prob now 2mos into using it. One of the things in the near future I need to address.

I understand the downside to doing it the guesstimate way. My concern was if I would wait 2-3 more days before my kit gets here, the pool might have too much algae & approach radioactive levels!!! Then I would have to use more chlorine, or worse (as I'm assuming there is something worse?! :shock: ), thus my urgency to get it started. But if the consensus is to wait, then wait I shall. What would be a good TA level for me, considering I was on tricolor pucks?

Any thoughts on what I need to do for the sheer descents & swim jet? Turn it on? Or it doesn't matter?

And Kenmar, I should hope so! That's the ultimate goal! :-D

Just jumping in here to say you have definitely done your homework. :goodjob:

I'm in the wait on your kit crowd. In Houston it'll take about 3 days for it to get there.

One reason I say wait is that the pool store says your CYA is 40 ppm but you've been using pucks and the CYA test is one that they're the worst at getting even close.

My suspicion is that you're going to need more bleach so I'd use this time to get a few more cases.

I too must jump in just to say how awesome it is to see a new member so thoroughly prepared. All the information's here, and clearly you've availed yourself of it! :goodjob:

Also agree with waiting on the kit. There's simply no substitute, no matter how much we empathize with wanting to get started. :lol: Test strips and pool store results will simply leave you guessing how far off they are, and that's WORSE than doing nothing. As others have said, you'll have the TF-100 with a quickness. :)

Looking forward to watching this process. Take before, during, and after photos...we love those!

Hello, all! Last night my husband changed the pump setting to run 24/7, hi speed @ 85%. Well, I woke up this AM, intending to take those pictures (cringe!) & was surprised to see that the water is actually looking blue, not the swampy green it was. Still dirty, murky, & can't-see-the-bottom blue but blue. So, I asked my hubby if he's done anything different last night (after deciding to wait for the kit, I was dead to the world last night :sleep: ; guess it was from the all nighters reading! :-D ).

Anyways, he read my notes on THE plan (I did admit to the OCD, didnt I?) on the pool binder (yes, I created one:oops:) & he carried it out! Yikes! He said he started with the 3 jugs of bleach, then thinking 3 jugs every hour was "overkill", followed it w/ 1jug every hr, 2x last night, then another 1 very early this AM. He said he brushed REALLY hard, that he was as slick as a greased weasel....well, I won't finish what he said. (I guess my exclamation points on the brushing got to him). He did test using the strips before dumping the next jug but he said "I dont know what ur looking for coz the colors look all the same to me all through out". Oh, bless his well-intentioned heart. I sent him fishing so I won't have to drown him & my kids will witness me doing in their papa!

My question is, until the test kit gets here, what do I do now?

:hammer: LeiA

No harm done. :)

I would think you could continue to add a jug or 2 spread out over each day (especially at night so the sun has no affect) to just keep a little chlorine in the pool and then hit it hard and accurately when the test shows up. You may end up using a little more bleach this route since you are probably not hitting the shock level for FC, but adding a little will help slow the regrowth of any algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:wave: Welcome! You have certainly done your homework...Awesome!

I understand your feeling of urgency, you will be there in no time. This forum is great and I think you already have a good handle on the process.

You're going to have an amazing sparkling pool your friends will be jealous of! :cool:

Hello, guys. So I finally have my test kit (delay was totally my fault :oops: ; it got delivered to the neighbor. Thankfully they handed it to me Saturday, May 26th). Anyhow, with that weekend being Memorial Weekend, the family wanted to have a pool party so the I didn't get to shock til last night. Pumps on 24/7 & puck chlorinator off. Pls let me know if I'm missing something or anything I'm not doing right.

My initial test readings are as ff:
May 29 @ 7:30pm
pH 7.2
FC 6
CC 1.0
TA 80
CYA 30 (re-checked 3x)
CH 160

@ 8pm
- Poured 1.4 jugs of 182oz clorox 6% to raise my FC of 6 to 13 (shock level).
- Pool skimmed

@ ~9pm
- FC 10
- Poured 112oz of clorox 6% (I bought a painter's cup w/ measurement readings just for this purpose :wink: )
- Pool brushed

@ ~11pm (I know I was late testing; the kids just wouldnt stay in bed! sigh!)
- FC 20 - huh?!?! what happened here? It took 40 drops before the pool water cleared! Since it was late, I decided to sleep it off & continue shocking in the AM.

May 30 @ 9AM
- water clear
- FC 17
- CC 0.5
- Skimmed & brushed

Will test FC again this evening, bring it up to shock level one more time, then do the overnight test tonight. Feedback, pls? Just wanna make sure I'm doing this right. Thanks, guys!

Oh, and I wanted to attach pics but the file was too big? Suggestions from the tech gurus on how to alter so I can upload??

You can either put the pictures on photobucket or something like that and post the link here.
OR
Resize the pictures using Microsoft Picture Manager or the software from your camera and post them directly here.

Re: Newb Planning to Clear a Green Pool - ACHIEVED!

Howdy, guys! Passed the OCLT! Yippee! :party:

Couldn't have done it without the invaluable info & tireless guidance from you all! So, don't let me fool you; all I did was read & apply the FREE info & advice. TFP RULES!!!

My numbers:
@ 8pm, FC = 12; brought it up to shock level one more time @ 13; brushed & skimmed
@ 10pm, FC = 13
@ 6am today, FC = 13
CC = 0.5
water clear
Hubby will clean the cartridge filter today. :whip:

So, now to maintain the pool, I do the basic ph/chlorine test daily? The FC/CC weekly (or as necessary if pool is not looking clear, after pool parties, rain); and the rest of the tests monthly?

Would these target levels be okay??
pH = 7.5 (I have a return in the tanning shelf that aerates the pool everytime pump is on & also have sheer descents)
FC = 5 (The pool gets ~10 hours of sun; I have no pool cover)
TA = 80 ?
CYA = 30 (we have a month long vacation coming up next month & I'm planning on using the trichlor pucks while we're away)
CH = 200 ? (from 160, for a gunite pool)

The pump is still on 24/7. How soon can I turn it down? What would be a good pump run time for my pool, variable speed?

Again, thank you! Wish I could invite you all to our pool parties! :cheers:

LeiA

P.S. I'll post pics as soon as I figure this out (we have a Mac). This is more frustrating than getting the pool sparkly! LOL!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.