What to do first in terms of balancing water chemistry?

Taylor1584

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2011
NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just came from unnamed pool store. Short story they made it sound urgent I purchase and start dumping chemicals in a fast as I could. I do have the test kit you all recommend here, and I am getting used to doing the basic tests. The more complex ones not so sure. Here's what pool store reported. I am checking ph and chlorine daily. I put information about my pool in my signature. Taking over pool care from someone (unspecified) that does not want to take the time. Pool store want me to dump 9 lbs. 8 oz. of Alkalinity Up, and add 2 qt. 18 fl. oz. of Phosfree directly into skimmer. I entered all this into pool calculator, but not sure what order to add and how long to wait before adding something else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Taking baby steps right now.

FAC 2.0
TAC 2.0
Salt 3100
CH 200
CYA 40
TA 60
ph 7.8
Acid Demand 2
Copper 0
Iron 0
Pho 1000
Temp 86

Honestly, your numbers look pretty good.

I would rely on the input and advice from this forum MUCH MORE than a pool store. A pool store will always have alterior motives (sales), but the TFP community only wants to help.

Now, based on those numbers, you could raise alkalinity a little bit (into the 70-90 range). Also, you should get a little bit more chlorine in the pool (and try to maintain a FC level of 5)

How does your water look?

EDIT: I agree with the above comment. Didn't realize those were the store's test results. Definitely test the water yourself before adding or changing anything.

Wow you guys are quick! Thanks. Yes I intend to use my own test kit. Oh, and the pool water is beautiful. My main concern is there is a slight yellow greenish color on the sides of the pool. I have brushed and brushed etc. It does not move. It does not feel slimy. Also there is a definite water line which I think might be calcium or scale. Or are they the same? So besides wanting the water pretty and clean, I want to get rid of the staining (algae?) and the scale. My test results this morning ph 7.6 and chlorine 3. I am going to reread the directions for the test kit tonight and try another test or two. Oh, and I failed chemistry.

Taylor1584 said:
My main concern is there is a slight yellow greenish color on the sides of the pool. I have brushed and brushed etc. It does not move. It does not feel slimy.
Is it spots or a consistent shade on the whole wall? To test for a metal stain, crush up vitamin C tablets (like 20 of them) and put them in a sock. Hold the sock against the stained area for 1-2 minutes and see if the stain gets lighter. If it does, then you have a metal stain. If it is organic, then shocking the pool should clear it up.

Taylor1584 said:
Also there is a definite water line which I think might be calcium or scale. Or are they the same?
Yes scale and calcium scale are the same thing.

Thanks, will put vitamin C on my grocery list for tomorrow. I forgot to Rear that we are on a well in our housing neighborhood. We had terrible staining of clothes and the water tank of the toilets. The iron, manganese, are very high, so we have a whole house filter with additional filter for the iron and manganese. Our pool water is not filtered.

The discoloration is a general shading of the plaster, sometimes I see some green along the grout lines that I can scrub away although scrubbing the sides does nothing. More test results tomorrow morning.

Ok, here goes, took an hour, wasn't as difficult as I thought. I am using the 1000 aquacheck kit, that I saw recommended here. Bought through here also. How's it look. I know I need to do things but what order, how fast, pump running or not? So many questions, thanks for putting up with a novice.

Pool Store results from
the other day from today 12-05-12

FAC 2.0 FAC 3 ppm CC
TAC 2.0 TAC 3.5
Salt 3100 Salt 2920 (aquacheck test strip) 2600 pool equipment readout
CH 200 CH 400
CYA 40 CYA 30 if I visually est. more like28
TA 60 TA 90 the 8th drop went green to almost pink, the 9th drop vivid pink
ph 7.8 ph 8.2
Acid Demand 2
Copper 0
Iron 0
Pho 1000
Temp 86

Oh dear that last post came out awful. Are you able to make out that the first data is from the pool store yesterday and the second data is from this past hour? I spaced it but it didn't transfer. I would take a picture but cannot figure out how to get pictures into the posts. I have searched the forum and can't find it. Probably directions are right in front of me. Thanks.

Is this better?

PoolStore 12/5/22
12/4/22
FAC 2 3
TAC 2 3.5
Salt 3100 2920test strip/2600readout on pool equip
CH 200 400
CYA 40 28
TA 60 90
ph 7.8 8.2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As per Pool Calculator, I am to do the following. My pump turns on shortly and I will start with the acid to bring down the ph. I will let that mix awhile and then proceed, not sure what comes next. Any advice?

So I am to add
71 oz of bleach
46 oz of muriatic acid
365 oz of liquid stabilizer
and CSI is a little high, not sure what to do about that.

What is your target CYA? That number could, indeed, be correct...I just want to be sure! Especially since adding CYA is not something that can be easily reversed!

According to the Pool Calculator it should be 70-90, I am at 28-30. I guess I should target 50-60, so I don't overshoot. I did add the acid for the ph, when do I add the bleach, before or after the CYA corrections?

Yes, I would start small and move up slowly (for CYA). Since you are using liquid stabilizer, it will register on the test fairly quickly (same day). I don't think it matters if you add bleach or CYA first, but if it were me, I would do CYA first so I get the most out of my new bleach.

blakej said:
Yes, I would start small and move up slowly (for CYA). Since you are using liquid stabilizer, it will register on the test fairly quickly (same day). I don't think it matters if you add bleach or CYA first, but if it were me, I would do CYA first so I get the most out of my new bleach.

Hey Blake, Thanks for the advice, going to buy the liquid just to get going. I am going to repeat the CYA test before adding, just to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.