Need Help ID'ing some post-shock spots

Jul 18, 2011
El Dorado Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Second season owning a pool and ugh. Last year I installed a puck-fed chlorinator and didn't really do much else. Water stayed clear all summer and all I usually had to do was add some acid. However, my CYA number was already high and I knew it was going to be sky-high come this spring. Other family stuff really slowed down my progress in getting it open, so I'm just now really trying to get it right. When I first tested the CYA a couple weeks ago it was off the charts (well under the marker for 100, couldn't tell exact but didn't really worry since it was so high), and the pool store had it at 200 so I drained and re-filled twice (half and half).

When I was done with that I had my CYA at maybe 10, pool store had it at 40. My Ph was really high, TA low, and obviously I had no chlorine. Also my CH was on the low side (120), but I have not added anything for that as I read somewhere (can't remember, maybe a post here) to not add anything for CH at 120 or higher. So last week I added a bottle of stabilizer, some baking soda, and shocked. The FC reading after that was about 20. That's been 4-5 days and with my pump running 10-12 hrs a day my FC is as below. A couple issues I'm having:

1. Black spots. I can't remember when exactly I first saw them, but it was before the refill. With the shock they nearly went away, but now they are back. The largest one today (2nd pic) actually looks kind of rust colored/brown. Is this algae of some sorts? I can't brush it off, but my FC is still pretty high so I didn't think it would be algae but obviously could be wrong. These pictures are from yesterday and today, as it has grown/expanded/changed some.

2. Last night when I checked the water I had 1.5 CC. Made myself a note to shock the pool this morning, but when I checked this morning the CC was 0.0....this afternoon it's 0.5. I am confused how they went down overnight?

Other than some cloudiness when I add the zappit chlorine (dissolved in pool water) the water has looked great but I just know that something is not right. I had planned on switching to BBB this year but just can't commit myself to that with two kids under 3 at home. Also contemplated a SWG but ugh, didn't want to drop the cash. Figured I would just try to control my CYA with more frequent backwashing and resign myself to the fact that a drain may be in my yearly future until I am able to switch.

My guess is that I didn't keep the shock level up long enough to properly sanitize the pool, but I am not sure how long I need to do that and I have just been so frustrated that I didn't want to do anything else without coming here first. Last summer the ignorance was bliss as I really didn't know any of this and the water stayed clear and we enjoyed the pool. Now that I know more it's not as much fun so far. Sorry, :blah: :blah: :blah: .

Today's numbers:

FC: 11.0
CC: 0.5
Ph: 7.5
TA: 130
CH: 180
CYA: 70

I'm not going to try to identify your stains but I will tell you that the BBB method takes about 5 minutes of effort per day once you get past the shock process. Less work than running to the pool store and buying their "fixes" time and time again. Just add bleach and muriatic acid to your regular shopping list and you're set. I have 4 kids and I sympathize with you, but this by far the easiest method of maintaining a pool I have found.

I do understand that and I appreciate the input, and 5 minutes doesn't sound like much....but what happens when I miss 3 days in a row? That's why I'm sticking with the pucks for now - they can help get me through some busier times when I just don't get around to testing and adding chemicals daily. That and I just don't want to be buying bleach in bulk and finding someplace to keep that (I had to remove my pool cabinet due to mice, so that needs to be re-built), nor do I want to be required to run to the store 2x a week for chemicals. I really do want to go that route, I just don't want to over-commit to something that will not be easy if I'm just not able to keep up with it. That's why I wanted to go to a SWG but I'm going to try this season with the pucks again and just see what happens since at least I know the damage I'm doing (which I'm not convinced is better than not knowing!). I know, this is probably what everyone says *before* they switch, but I'm so overwhelmed with Darn to do I just can't add a mandatory daily task.

Granules will work, but I find a tablet a lot easier to control. You can push it around with a leaf net and pull it back up when you are done. While granules tend to spread out and not stay where you put them. In any case, it is important not to leave either tablets or granules on the bottom too long as they are both acidic and can damage the surface if left too long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.