Do i have a leak

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
Noticed recently that I seem to be adding more water than usual. Now, it is getting hotter, but just seems like a lot to me.

Also, when I turn the pump on now, the basket before the main pump has to fill with water, when usually it has water in it and just starts. (pretty sure) Is this a sign of anything.

There are no visible leaks on the pad where the equipment sits. is it possible for it to flow out the backwash pipe? i check the lever and it is down.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the article in finding leaks in Pool School.

Air in the pump strainer basket after the system has been off for a while does suggest a leak, though it could be a very slow leak. Sometimes you get lucky and a leak is easy to find, other times it can get to be quite a large adventure figuring out where the leak is.

so this:

The way to tell if it's the pool or the plumbing is to plug all the inlets and outlets (returns, skimmers, drains, cleaner lines') ' mark the water level with a piece of tape or a pencil mark and see if the water drops in 12 - 24 hours. To keep the effects of evaporation out of this test, fill a bucket with water, mark the level of the water in the bucket, set it on the stairs and compare the water loss between the pool level and the bucket level. If the pool itself doesn't show any loss with the lines plugged, the problem is in the underground plumbing.

Should i boost the chlorine if i stop the pump for two days?

To plug the lines, do i just turn the Jandy valves up on each one? (main drain, returns, skimmer etc)

I'll post a pic of my setup when i get home.

Yes, though if you just want to see if are loosing water (and not have to turn off your equipment), you can do the bucket test without plugging. If you find you are loosing water in the pool then the next step would be to plug the inlets/outlets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.