My first pool test

TK13LG

Mar 19, 2012
TF-100
12000 Fiberglass
Pool Guy said Saturday that every thing was good. Here is my test results.

Cl - .5
PH - 7.8
Salt - 2230
CH - 120
FC - .5
CC - 0
TA - 170

So what do I need to do? I plan on adding 1 bag of salt tonight because that is what I have on hand right now. I do have some Muratic Acid I can add to lower the PH.

What should I do first?

Your FC level is too low. But without knowing your CYA level it is impossible to know if that is the result of CYA being too low, or something else.

Your TA is a little high, which is likely to drive the PH up, possibly rather quickly. I suggest you lower the PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8 for as long as the TA remains too high.

Well, then your CYA is close to 0. You should bump that up to around 30ppm to start and get your FC in the suggest range according to the Chlorine CYA Chart.

Then you need to decided if you need to go through the shock process (try the OCLT). If you loose FC overnight with the SWG off, then you should follow the Shocking Your Pool process. If you can currently pass the 3 tests in the previous link to stop shocking, then you need to get your CYA level up to the 60-80ppm recommended range for SWG pools and then be sure to maintain the correct FC levels.

I guess I'm confused. My PB said not to Shock the pool because it was fiberglass. Maybe he meant not to use the stuff in the package called shock.

I'll head to walmart to see what I can find.

I imagine he meant the stuff that would end up on the bottom of the pool and could damage the coat. You should use liquid chlorine to do the the shock process (if needed). The CYA is cyanuric acid (called conditioner or stabilizer).

Okay- I added 1 bag (40lbs) of salt but the calculator said 77 lbs. I think I feel more comfortable adding it in slowly and then testing the next day. I will have my pump on all night.

I did add some bleach before I left this afternoon for baseball. About 3/4 gallon....is all I had on hand.

Ran to Walmart after baseball, got some stablizer which said to add it slowly into the skimmer. I use about half the recommended just because I hate to mess it up worse. I also found a PH minus which I did add a little bit....about a cap full since my PH wasn't way high.

I will get up early to run my numbers again and see how things look.

-Tracy

That is not how we recommend adding CYA. Not a huge deal. Just do not backwash or clean the filter for a week if possible ... hopefully your pool is not too dirty.

Read the Recommended Pool Chemicals article in pool school for how to add the various chems.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

CYA - Cyanuric Acid

CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid cyanuric acid should be placed in a sock, and the sock put in the skimmer basket. After adding solid cyanuric acid you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Solid cyanuric acid can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so it is best not to test the CYA level until one week after adding some.

--------------------------------------
This is what I found for CYA. I didn't see where it is recommended NOT to do it this way. We live in a very rural area and we have access to a very small walmart. They didn't have a solid Cyanuric acid so I went with what they had. Of course, I used a very little because I wasn't sure how different it is as far as strength. Anyway, I should have no need to clean the filter as it was just cleaned on Saturday.

I'll try to get my hands on a solid format if possible the next time we run into the big city. lol

This mornings results.

Salt - 2840 Need to add 17lbs
PH - 7.2
CH - 120 same
FC 13.5 guess I put more bleach than I realized
CC - 0 same
TA - 160 dropped a bit
CYA - 0 stayed the same

The solid referred to in the above quoted text is actually granules and it should be near 100% cyanuric acid. I buy mine at Walmart and it's granules.

How much did you add? Half of what the Pool Calc suggests or half of what the package suggests?

Once you've added it you should wait a week before testing for it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh. Was the stabilizer liquid? If so then no problem with what you did. The concern is putting the solid in the filter and then not being able to clean it. The liquid is pre dissolved so it should show on your test almost immediately.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Half of what the packaging said. I put in about a TBS at a time...waited for the water to clear up then added again. I was thinking that solid meant solid like a puck not granules. I hope I didn't mess anything up. I kept the pool running all night and it was still working this morning :)

I'll wait and run that test again on Sunday evening.

Meantime, I'll focus on getting the PH lower to 7.0, aerate and then repeat until my TA get's down to a good level. Is there a limit on how much I can do in a day or will this process take a couple of weeks since my TA is so high.

How many oz or lbs of CYA did you wind up putting in there?

You didn't hurt anything doing it the way you did.

The TA adjustment could take a day or a few days to a week depneding on how fast the pH moves and how aggressive you are about it.

Okay - Day 3 results....looking better but still along way to go.

CL 3
PH 7.2
Salt 3350
CH - didn't test
FC 5.5
CC - 0
TA - 140 (slowly coming down)
CYA - 0 (still see the dot but was more cloudy this morning than previous 2 days.)

Keep it up!!!

The CYA may take up to a week to show up in the test, but after it is dissolved (hard to say since it is in the filter :)) you want to keep the FC in the appropriate range. I would keep it above 3ppm starting now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.