Cartridge filter selection

Jun 3, 2011
Hi, looking at upgrading my cartridge filter to something along the lines I a 300 ft model and see that jandy, Hayward and pentair have filters in this size.
Is one brand really any better than the other?

Also while I am at it should I look into possibly switching to a sand or de filter? Any benefit to switching?
Let me know and thanks,

All of those brands will work just fine. As far as setting the new one up, it would be smart to get measurements from your current filter, and compare to measurements of potential replacements. You should measure the distance from the ground to the center of your filter outlet. Also, get the center-to-center measurement between the inlet/outlet. These measurements don't have to match exactly with your new filter, but good to know what type of plumbing will be involved in the swap.

As for other filters, here is some general info about the different types:

A sand filter will filter down to 40 microns, and require back-washing somewhat regularly

A cartridge filter will filter down to 10 microns and cartridges are cleaned manually (no backwashing)

A DE filter will filter down to 5 microns, and require back-washing (less often than sand)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.