Pump for 16x36 Grecian pool?

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I am fixing to order a 16x36 Grecian pool and the standard pump and filter it comes with is a 1hp hayward. I am looking at upgrading to a 1.5hp 2speed Hayward for $195 upgrade charge. Would that be a good fit for this size pool? To big or small? Is 2 speed worth the upgrade charge? Also the standard filter is a Hayward pro series s244t sand filter. I am really wanting a cartridge but really do not know a whole lot about them. What size would I need for this type of pool? Right at 20K gallons. Also it will be used with a SWG if that matters

Hey,

Research that cartridge filter pretty carefully. Most folks that have them, love them. That said, switching between types (DE, sand, cartridge) often seems to lead to some unhappiness based on past posts onthe forum.

Carts are great filter but I don't have on so, naturally, I don't like it as well as my sand filter. Someone will be along soon who knows carts and will offer better advice.

A fully rated 1hp pump is a little too big for your pool. A full-rated 1HP 2-speed might be ideal and would save you some front money as well as some operating expense.

That is a lot of jets, so if you plan to run them at the same time, the pump needed may be fairly large. Unfortunately, when the spa jets are not running, you would need much less of a pump. You might want to think about a separate pump for your jets or at least the two speed option. What diameter spa jets do you plan to have?

I have a sand filter on my pool and a cartridge on my hot tub. I like the sand much better...it is a pain to clean the cartridge. In my case water is cheap and readily available so replacing the backwash water on the pool is a non issue.

kyle11 said:
Also the standard filter is a Hayward pro series s244t sand filter
That is on the small size at 3.1 sq. ft for your pool. 3.7 sq.ft or larger sand filter would be a better fit.

K thanks for all your recommendations! I think I will go with 2hp 2speed 2" pump with 2 1/2 pipe going to all the spa jets an 2" to other returns. Still undecided on which filter but I now feel like I know what to look for.

What about a ranger RS3015 sand filter. Says its 30" 4.6 sqft just never head of ranger. Are they any good? also says it hole 500 pounds of sand. Also what is the best sand and should I just get locally. I seen HD had 50# bags of quickcrete filter sand for $6 a bag. Is all sand created equality?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kyle11 said:
What about a ranger RS3015 sand filter. Says its 30" 4.6 sqft just never head of ranger. Are they any good? also says it hole 500 pounds of sand.
I have not heard of that company, but that filter size should be adequate for your pool volume (I am assuming about 24000).

kyle11 said:
Also what is the best sand and should I just get locally. I seen HD had 50# bags of quickcrete filter sand for $6 a bag. Is all sand created equality?
That is what I am using and it works great for me. Some people think it is not as well sized as other brands...you can google the site for more discussion (google search at lower left corner of page).

I had a sand filter, seemed to be always back washing it. Changed to a big Pentair cartridge....only had to clean it once last year, when I closed the pool for the winter. Can't beat that!

My setup is similar to what your looking at. The pool has 2 skimmers, main drain, 4 returns, 2 step jets, 2 swim out jets. With the pump on high it moves alot of water. High speed is great for adding chems to the water or opening in the spring. The 500lb. filter runs at 22psi on high speed, 4psi on low. I run it on low pretty much all the time. Backwash once a month. If I could change anything I would of went with a 7oolb filter.

DaveNJ said:
My setup is similar to what your looking at. The pool has 2 skimmers, main drain, 4 returns, 2 step jets, 2 swim out jets. With the pump on high it moves alot of water. High speed is great for adding chems to the water or opening in the spring. The 500lb. filter runs at 22psi on high speed, 4psi on low. I run it on low pretty much all the time. Backwash once a month. If I could change anything I would of went with a 7oolb filter.

DaveNJ said:

What size hp motor and pipes do you have Dave? Sorry I was on my phone and it does not show your signature. I see your setup now. Thanks!

Decided to go with the 1.5hp tristar 2speed pump and 30" ranger sand filter. Am having 2nd thoughts about the pump though. From reading the charts and calculating my head at being around 35 when installed the 1.5 makes sense but I just hope if has enough power for the spa jets in the cozy cove swim out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.