Do you have a "cure" for Carpenter Bees?

I think the answer might be to move to Anchorage. Annoying litters buggers, huh? I wonder, after hovering and annoying me for weeks, how they finally decide THIS is exactly where I want to burrow?

jj...not that I have the guts to do it, but my brother just swats the heck out of them with a tennis racket!! :shock: I like the "long spray of bee killer spray and run like heck technique" myself!! :lol:

Not sure if this will work with the bees, but we had Wasps last summer.

What seemed to work was to take a glass, put something sugary in it (fruit juice or soda), then place a funnel on it.

It basically works like a lobster trap, they fly in, but can't get back out.

duraleigh said:
I think the answer might be to move to Anchorage. Annoying litters buggers, huh? I wonder, after hovering and annoying me for weeks, how they finally decide THIS is exactly where I want to burrow?

Dave, are you kiddin' :shock: ...... My southern blood is way too thin for Alaska! Besides, I hear they have mosquitoes the size of birds. I don't have enough SkinSoSoft for that.

And yea, the bees do hover the entire time I am outside. Sometimes I think they are trying to read my water test!

midtngal said:
jj...not that I have the guts to do it, but my brother just swats the heck out of them with a tennis racket!! :shock: I like the "long spray of bee killer spray and run like heck technique" myself!! :lol:

....swatting w/the rackets is what DH does! I just can't, either. Okay, bee-killer spray & run....I'm thinking about it :roll:

Thanks for the input!

Rob said:
Not sure if this will work with the bees, but we had Wasps last summer.

What seemed to work was to take a glass, put something sugary in it (fruit juice or soda), then place a funnel on it.

It basically works like a lobster trap, they fly in, but can't get back out.

Hey, hey, hey! Now we're talkin' :-D ..... I got a few wasps, too! Fruit juice or soda? I'm going to the pantry now 'cause I know I have some BSM (black strap molasses), maple syrup.......DH has 5 GAL buckets (don't laugh, I got LOTS of beez)! Now I need to try to figure out how to make a funnel to fit............

Hey, thanks folks! I really like the ' no hands on' technique. I'll let you know if this works :wink:

I found this in our local paper the other day as an answer to the same question.

I myself just started sealing up the holes when I didnt see any bees. Good luck.

Quote:
"They are called carpenter bees, and they put holes into wood, usually not painted, and the way to get rid of them is you have to wait until dark and spray an insect killer. It won't kill them, but it makes them crazy, and they come out of the hole. Stomp them to kill them. Then you take wood putty and fill in the hole. That's the way to do it."

From experience, I can tell you not to blast the nest with the hose. Those things move like lightning, I could not move fast enough, and I got stung a few times in the face.

Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back is still a bit fuzzy though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: DH talked me into using a QT. jar w/funnel :roll: and I am using honey for the sweet. Sure hope this works.

Bpotter: DH did all that LAST year. They are back and brought all their kin w/them!

sevver: Note: Will not blast nests! ...a bit fuzzy, huh, bad bees

lulu: Our house is cedar w/stain. They really like it....as in yum, yum. If you google you will find some paints are said to be better than others to deter the little buggars.

Thanks folks, I'll let you know if the honey jar works :)

I got an idea. :rambo:

DIYFlameThrower.jpg

jjparrish said:
The carpenter bees have moved in.....the eaves on our house! How do we get rid of them?

oh yea, they like the pool, too :cry:

Any and all comments welcome.

Hi Joyce :)

I had a similar problem last year with one of the carpenter bees cousins. I ended up using Drione dust. If you've still got some cold mornings (or nights)...that would be the time to dust. Once the little bugger bring the dust into their nest it will kill a good number of them. But you may not reach all the eggs and larva, so repeat the dusting once a week for a month (that what I ended up doing). Hopefully the nest isn't too large and widespread.

Check here for some info.

good luck!

dan

Well, from our experience, if you wait long enough, the pileated woodpeckers will dig them out for you... :roll:

Luckily for us they were just in the fence... looked like it had been blasted repeatedly with a shotgun!! :shock:

Truthfully, it was kinda cool to see the woodpeckers at work... they would hang upside--down on the fence, stick their beaks up the bee hole, and see how deep they were. If they could reach them that way, they were satisfied. If not, they would then start destroying the face of the stringer...

The Mermaid Queen said:
Well, from our experience, if you wait long enough, the pileated woodpeckers will dig them out for you... :roll:

Luckily for us they were just in the fence... looked like it had been blasted repeatedly with a shotgun!! :shock:

Truthfully, it was kinda cool to see the woodpeckers at work... they would hang upside--down on the fence, stick their beaks up the bee hole, and see how deep they were. If they could reach them that way, they were satisfied. If not, they would then start destroying the face of the stringer...

Hey Mermaid! Would you please send some of your woodpeckers down here? :) Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_0135_00-1.jpg
    100_0135_00-1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13
Joyce,

You use a product called Drione. It is available over the internet for $20 bucks or so. That, or you can call a pest control guy and they will use the same dust and charge you ten times as much.

Spray will not work. It doesn't get back there far enough as the holes they make in the wood are too deep. All you do is just puff the dust (just a little bit is all it takes) into the hole and that is that. The best thing to do is watch for the bee to leave the hole and puff the dust in there while she is gone. That way, you won't get stung. When she comes back, she will get the dust on her and die.

Don't bother filling the hole(s) until the bees are dead. They will just chew back out again.

Craig

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.