New here - wanted to say hello!

Wicked

May 19, 2012
Hi everyone - just wanted to do a quick into as I am new on the board. Been lurking a bit and decided to sign up. I'm a first time pool owner to a pool that has been installed for about 8-10 years. Big learning curve and loving it so far. I am sure more questions will come up now that swim season is here. I recently upgraded the power center, aqualink, SWG and went to a VS pump. I did all the work myself and it was fun to do and learn some new things and more about my pool.

My biggest question is really around the VS pump (what settings for each different functions) and now that my SWG will be up and running this week, I will need to learn how to set/adjust that.

Looking forward to being a member! :party:

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome :wave:

Wow, sounds like you are not the typical newbie if you have enough understanding to have already done all that work to your pool.

Thanks! Prior to moving into this home i only owned an above ground spa. I am pretty handy with fixing things and I like to just dive right in - helps me learn how everything works - although I officially hate plumbing, its definitely an art form. I am happy it all fired up leak free :) Now the chemistry behind keeping it clean and clear is where my head spins!!

I got the TF-100 coming via FedEx as we speak - so I am sure the questions will be coming soon!

Things "look" good so far and my local Leslie has me in rage although they say my CYA is at 100ppm (likely due to me floating tabs all winter per their request. Ill confirm all the numbers once the kit arrives. If it is at 1000ppm - with a SWG is it better to get it in the 60-80 range for CYA?

I am in the middle of re-plumbing my entire pool pad as well. Started with a new pump and then decided to make thing more efficient ... you are not kidding that it is an art ... hard to get things to line up. And the dry 100 degree weather sure seems to make the solvent start to set up FAST (hardly enough time to get the solvent on both pieces before the first starts to "dry")

Good choice on the kit :goodjob:

Once you get to a CYA > 90 or so, the high FC levels become difficult to manage. I would have to stick with the 60-80ppm recommendation for a SWG. If you have a lot of sun on the pool, being on the upper limit may help.

jblizzle said:
Once you get to a CYA > 90 or so, the high FC levels become difficult to manage. I would have to stick with the 60-80ppm recommendation for a SWG. If you have a lot of sun on the pool, being on the upper limit may help.

From what I gather, assuming my new test kit confirms the high CYA, is my only option to lower CYA to drain/refill? Or should I just ride out the summer time and levels will drop naturally with evaporation/refill?

The CYA will only be removed from the pool by changing water or doing Reverse Osmosis. Adding water due to evaporation will NOT reduce the CYA ... CYA could go down due to splashing water out of the pool or due to replacement of water after backwashing or a lot of rain.

Test it and find out how bad it may be. You can (and maybe should if you expect it around 100ppm) dilute the pool water 50/50 with tap water when performing the CYA test and then double the result. The test peaks out at 100ppm and that reading could mean anything above 100ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.