Got Hummingbirds?

awesome! We love them! Just planted about 10 lbs of 'hummingbird flowers'

I'll be cleaning our two (maybe three if I get another:D) feeders in the coming weeks and getting them loaded.

The don't seem to make it back to Texas till late April/early May...we had them year round in Seattle, but then again, we didn't have a pool ;)

greatest little birds around! Easy to feed and you don't see their poops all over the patio :D

I have a really nice covered patio out in the front of my house. I put up two feeders for the hummingbirds. I want to put some hanging plant flowers to attract them. What kinds of flowers will work best?

flowers for hummers

whoozer said:
I have a really nice covered patio out in the front of my house. I put up two feeders for the hummingbirds. I want to put some hanging plant flowers to attract them. What kinds of flowers will work best?

Anything red works great to attract them. I'm having a hard time thinking of shade plants with flowers, the only thing I'm coming up with is Impatients. Which would work great.

I love hummingbirds. I haven't set my feeders out yet. They love my lantana bush in the front very much though!! It's prefect because when it's in full bloom. I can sit at the dining room table and watch them from the window.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
whoozer said:

I put hanging baskets of petunias out and hummingbirds love them. Petunias come in pinks, reds, purples, stripes, etc. and they hang very nicely. If you hang them around the perimeter of your covered patio where the sun can get to them they will be beautiful :)

My hummers come to the feeders with no flowers around them! (Tho flowers would be lovely, they are not necessary!) I put my feeders out mid-week last week, and we had our first diner on Sunday or Monday evening.

My feeders are the clear plastic ones with red tops and bottoms, and I do not color my nectar... I don't particularly want artificial colors in my own food, much less in theirs!

ETA when I lived in Louisiana, we had something called Hummingbird vine... grew all over the fence, with pretty little red trumpet-shaped flowers. Did it attract hummers? NOPE! But butterflies LOVED it! I never once saw a hummer feeding on those flowers

My feeders are set up right outside my picture window on my covered patio but I haven't had a hummer yet. They have been there for 2 weeks! I'm hoping by putting out flowers it might attract them. We'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.