what exactly is this and what would it do

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have someone out here (not even a pool store but someone who is in love with their pool store) who just goes on and on about this stuff Ahh-Some® Water Clarifier & Bio-Cleaner.
I got the company to send me the MSDS sheet just out of curiosity but not being up on the chemisty part I'm wondering what exactly is in it and what it does. I'll attach the MSDS.

Thanks

Attachments

• MSDS.pdf
    202.4 KB · Views: 49
The "Sodium Sesquicarbonate" is the same as a combination of sodium carbonate (i.e. "pH Up") and sodium bicarbonate (i.e. "Alkalinity Up) so would raise both pH and TA. The "Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (C12-18)" is what is known as a linear quat algaecide which is a less expensive algaecide compared to Polyquat but can foam. I didn't see any clarifier in the ingredients.

The guy probably goes on and on about this product due to the algaecide because he is likely using Trichlor pucks/tabs where the CYA buildup leads to algae growth if one doesn't use an algaecide product. Also, Trichlor lowers the pH and TA to this product seems like a miracle since it restores both (somewhat).

chem geek said:
The "Sodium Sesquicarbonate" is the same as a combination of sodium carbonate (i.e. "pH Up") and sodium bicarbonate (i.e. "Alkalinity Up) so would raise both pH and TA. The "Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (C12-18)" is what is known as a linear quat algaecide which is a less expensive algaecide compared to Polyquat but can foam. I didn't see any clarifier in the ingredients.

The guy probably goes on and on about this product due to the algaecide because he is likely using Trichlor pucks/tabs where the CYA buildup leads to algae growth if one doesn't use an algaecide product. Also, Trichlor lowers the pH and TA to this product seems like a miracle since it restores both (somewhat).

Thanks "chem geek". He does indeed use Trichlor pucks and has had algae growth. So I guess it is a miracle for him. An expensive miracle though, he goes through a ton of it.

Yeah, linear quats break down from chlorine quickly. He would be much better off using Polyquat even though it is more expensive (though perhaps not more than what he is using now) since it will last longer so use less chlorine. Of course, it would be even better if he went the BBB route, but Trichlor pucks are convenient. Some people are willing to pay more for such convenience even though it means paying extra for algaecides or phosphate removers.

chem geek said:
Yeah, linear quats break down from chlorine quickly. He would be much better off using Polyquat even though it is more expensive (though perhaps not more than what he is using now) since it will last longer so use less chlorine. Of course, it would be even better if he went the BBB route, but Trichlor pucks are convenient. Some people are willing to pay more for such convenience even though it means paying extra for algaecides or phosphate removers.

I hear you on all of this....one of his biggest problems is he is also a male chauvanist. He thinks because I am female, my poor little girl brain could not possibly know anything.
He was a little blown away this past weekend when thanks to people here, I took apart my pool pump and replaced the motor shaft seal. Now he thinks maybe my little girl brain can actually hold something so maybe I will convert him to BBB yet....lol.
I have printed off this thread for him to read.....his comment....a great big...hmmmmmm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.