high ph in source water from city

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I know this will probably vary from city to city but does anyone know if there is a range that cities keep the ph at in their water.
I just tested my city water because I've been having a heck of a time keep the ph down in the pool and it is reading very close to 8 ppm.
That just seems awful high to me????

Thanks

That isn't too bad. It can be much higher or much lower than that some places. It is also important how high the TA level is. Low TA allows the PH to shift very easily, so the PH almost becomes irrelevant. But high TA fill water is going to means lots of acid each time you top off the pool.

JasonLion said:
That isn't too bad. It can be much higher or much lower than that some places. It is also important how high the TA level is. Low TA allows the PH to shift very easily, so the PH almost becomes irrelevant. But high TA fill water is going to means lots of acid each time you top off the pool.

My TA is around 160 right now so I'm getting a bad combination going on.

We have high pH, usually around 8, and moderately high TA, around 130 to 150. I keep the pH down and the TA goes down as you add more acid to get the pH down. I don't use a whole lot of acid, but then, my pool is quite a bit smaller than yours, not quite 10,000 gallons. I know a liter is a little over 1/4 of a gallon, so your pool works out to be over twice the size of mine, so you will use more acid.

I do have an automatic feeder for the acid, it's just not keeping up. Usually I have an issue with low PH so I think I may have to hand feed some extra acid.
Our source water has been on the low side for PH for the past two years so now that it's shot up to 8 I've been adjusting the acid feed like crazy. I have it on max now but still not keeping up.

CH 4.5
CC 0
PH 7.7
Alk 160

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.