Pool Leaking

harrenst

Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2012
I was in the "fill the pool with an inch of water to see if it's level" stage when I noticed water coming out from the bottom of my new Intex. Great. My first attempt with an Intex and I have a leak after 1". I am going to try to locate the hole (via sunlight, per above) and a dye test, though I don't know what that is exactly other than dropping in food color (which I hope doesn't stain) where I suspect the hole to be and watching. I bought some showerpan liner pvc cement and will try the patch kit sent with the pool. 'Sort of wondering if I should have bought the wet/dry pvc cement instead.

I am grateful the leak was apparent after 1 inch instead of after filling the whole thing...

To continue the saga, I dribbled some red food coloring into the 1" of water. It slowly spread. After about an hour of nothing obvious, and increasingly pink water, I decided the dye test was not applicable to my case. I started a siphon with some tubing and began the pinhole hunt (why didn't I use the drain plug? Oh well).

I got my daughter to help me lift the liner from the dry side first, working our way underneath it until we detected the first area of puddling. Ultimately, we narrowed down the search area to 1/4 of the diameter of the pool bottom. By some miracle I happened upon the hole and marked it with a sharpie. I'm going to let everything dry out overnight and do a patch tomorrow.

Guess what caused the hole--the garden hose. At one point, I had put a new end on it, using a little clamp, and dang it if it didn't have a sharp part on it, and according to Murphy's Law, that part must have hit the bottom as I tossed the hose in to fill that first inch...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.