Tips/Tricks for sealing pump basket lid?

Maria

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
West Chester, PA
Help!

Last year I had to order not OEM strainer basket lid because the one we had dry rotted. The pump is so ancient that, while it still works, the lid was made by a replacement company. The pump won't prime, and I am sure this is where the suction side leak is.

My problem is getting it seated well enough to prime, Any tips? I do have a new gasket, but silicone grease alone is just not cutting it. We need a workable solution, but not a "forever" solution. We carefully cleaned the gasket, the lid, and the pump where they all meet. We carefully greased the the basket's groove and seated the gasket, and no matter what, the thing is just not air tight. Getting good flow, plus A LOT of air. It's just not a good fit with the twenty-plus year old basket and the brand new lid. Ruled out everything else, and then when the pump was running, ran the hose over the lid and the basket filled beautifully.

We are probably at the point that we need to suck it up and order a new pump assembly, but in the meantime I'm stalled on my pool opening and can only imagine how long it will take my (wonderful) pool company to get us one and install it. (DH does not want to do this particular job himself-he gets hinky working with electricity....and we will upgrade to a two-speed motor with a timer etc).

thanks again everyone

Well, you have done a great job identifying the problem but I don't have a good answer. Let's see if someone else comes up with a work-around.

Does the O-ring lay nicely in the groove of the pump basket? Does the lid or the pump basket have any damage in the groove and mating flat part? You should be able to see it if it's leaking that much air.

We were thinking of a homemade rubber gasket that would "flare" over the edges. Anybody have any ideas where to get a sheet of thin gasket-y material?

Any thoughts on silicone caulk or plumbers putty?

@Dave--it's dark out now but I'll re-inspect (with my reading glasses on !!!) in the morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.