Newbie to the SWG world!!!!

May 20, 2012
Ok, so I will let you know what I've done and where I stand so far. This is my first year with a SWG. I went with a Compu-Pool CPSC 36. I have a 33' round x 54" deep pool. B I also put in a new two speed pump this year. I started off with liquid chlorine, algae block, and muriatic acid to start with before installing the SWG. Our cover blew in from the storms this year and ended up being jungle green. I wanted to get to a base to start with before adding the SWG. Anyhow, now I have the SWG installed and am very close to being clear. Still a little milky, not bad.

My numbers so far are:
Chlorine = about 2.5
pH = 7.2
Salt = 3900

Not really sure where I need to be. I thought salt couldn't be tasted until 5000 ppm? I have a slight taste of salt. Also, I have the SWG set to 80% output. I also only have it generating from 11 p.m. until 1 a.m. and then again from 4 a.m. until 6 a.m. So, a total of four hours daily. Do I need to change the output and generating times?

Like I said, I don't have much experience with SWG. I will take all of the advice you can give. Thanks!

Ok. Thanks for the advice!!!! So, the TF-100 and the Speedstir should have me covered for a while? Also, what are the output percentages and generating times that everyone else uses? Just gives me an idea if I am even close.

You should be fine with the T100 and the Speedstir... jealous of the Speedstir, I want one but can't get myself to spend the $$.

Your manual should give you a general idea of where to start with time for running the SWG for your size of pool. It will vary with a lot of things... water temperature, sunlight exposure, cya level, bather load, etc. It's kind of trial and error at first but you'll get it rather quickly.

Also, if your water is cloudy, you will need to shock, see pool school, and make sure you pass all 3 parts of the test. Don't expect your SWG to get you to or to maintain shock level for you, it likely won't keep up with the demand for shocking. I wouldn't have more than 25-30ppm of cya to shock unless it's already in the pool. That way you can shock at a lower chlorine level which will save you $$.

My pool is pretty low in salt for a salt pool... keep it at the lower level of the operating zone between 2500-3000 and I can taste the salt. We've had swimmers in the pool ask us if it was salt and others that don't notice it at all. I think it varies person to person as to whether you notice it or not. It bothered me at first, but now I prefer it to the taste of chlorine in public pools!! :shock:

Welcome to the SWG group! You will love it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I received my TF-100 in the mail today and was excited to try it out. Got my results.

CL = 2
ph = 7.3
FC = 3
CC = .5
TC = 3.5
TA = 80
CH = 140
CYA = Never lost sight of the black dot. It's real low!!!!
Salt = 4360

I understand my salt is a little high. I am still tweaking on it. That is a new toy for me. I am now running it for 8 hours total every day. 4 hours in the middle of the night and 4 hours in the late afternoons. I am assuming once I get the CYA level up, I might be able to reduce the run time on the chlorine generator? Any other input and suggestions on my readings?

Will adding 16 lbs. of granular acid give me a big differential pressure on my pump? Is it going to reduce my pump output? Also, putting that much acid in, how long before I can swim? Is it going to affect my SWG? I have no way of bypassing my SWG. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What filter do you have?

It won't make a big difference in pressure and if it makes a little it won't for long. NOTE: If you even think you might need to clean the filter for a week don't pour the CYA in the skimmer. Hang it in front of a running return. I suggest doing that anyway.

You can swim while pouring it in there if you want. Cyanuric is an acid but it's a very weak acid. It'll be diluted as soon as it hits the water.

Pour it in very, very slowly. You don't want it clogging up the plumbing going to the filter.

Put it in. Didn't restrict flow from the pump. Checked today. Chlorine and Ph levels are dead on. I am going to wait until Thursday or Friday to test CYA again. Pool is crystal clear. I may end up reducing the run time on the SWG. Thanks for all of the help. I will keep updating this post until it's all leveled up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.