Gas Line question

Mar 6, 2012
I have determined that I will be needing 1 1/4" black pipe for a run of 40 feet. Off of my meter is a 1" 90 that has been capped ( old pool heater line that was removed years ago) My question is can I hook to that 90 and increase from there to 11/4 or do I have to make a new connection from the meter that would start at 1 1/4. I am wondering if the small hookup size will give me problems in terms of volume and pressure. It would be MUCH easier to hook up to the 1" than to rebuild the section of pipe that also feeds my house.

Couple things... and I'm not a plumber so please speak with a professional before you do this. My take is that if you have a 400K BTU heater the 1" at your meter may be fine (and if it isn't you can increase it later). You may also need a bigger meter, and with a run of 90' you may want a slightly larger diameter pipe. All these are suggestions... but the real reason that motivated me to respond is...

Don't use black pipe!!!

Use the yellow PVC rated for gas and make sure you bury it below 18" and pressure test the heck out of it before you connect it to either the heater or your meter. Black pipe will corrode and leak gas and you'll be lucky if it doesn't cause a serious accident. This is an area where you don't want to take any shortcuts.

Good luck.

The line is going above ground along side the house, so I have to use steel pipe. the heater requires the 1 1/4 so that is not negotioable, but my question is where it starts and if I can increase from 1" to 1 1/4 vs. replacing the connection that is already there. the run is 40' not 90' but NG size per heater is 11/4 over 20'

In my situation my pipe steps up from 1" at the meter to 2" for a long run to the heater then back down to the size required by my heater... which is 3/4. My 400K heater works pretty efficiently. The guy from the gas co connected the meter and 1" pipe to my heater run when he installed a higher capacity meter. He thought 1" would be enough and so far so good.

I believe it can be a DIY job. It is fitting steel connections together with the coupling and the proper pipe dope,pressure testing and checking for leaks. How hard can it be? My original question is not If I can or cannot complete this project, It was a specific question about sizing. Thanks for the advice :goodjob:

You need to run the pipe the correct size from the meter all the way to the appliance. Do you know what the pressure at the gas meter is? Is it at the proper pressure or do you need a 2 stage system?

I know you asked for sizing advice. But, your playing with dangerous stuff. You most likely need a permit as well to do this type of work. If your not licensed, you cant get a permit. You could blow up your entire street. If you dont have the proper permits and something happens, you will be liable for any mishap that occurs now or in the future. I really really suggest you call a licensed gas fitter, pull the proper permits and do this safely. Saving a few bucks running some conduit or wiring up a subpanel is probably within reason, but gas is nothing to play with. Spend the little bit of money and do it the correct and safe way. Hire a pro and get permits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.