Acidic fill water?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
While testing my pool water earlier today I decided to run a test on the fill water since I had not checked it in a couple of years (water source is a private well) and I found the water was considerably more acidic than the last time I tested it.

Here are the overall numbers:

pH <=6.8
TA = 30
CH= 40
No known detectable metals

I ran the pH test twice, once with 2 year old pH reagent then again with fresh from my new TF-100 resupply pack, using pool water with measured pH of 7.5 mixed 50/50 with tap (fill) water I extrapolated a pH of 6.7 - 6.8 of course there is a large margin of error, but this should at least show the pH is not insanely low. The last time I tested the pH a couple of years ago it was 7.0, we did have a severe drought last summer followed by lots of rain over the winter and spring this year, I am not sure how much this effected the local water table though. Does anyone else have similar acidic fill water experience? I have not noticed any big changes in pH stability lately, but also don't know how long this condition has been present.

For completenes sake the pool test showed:

FC=4.0 (still tuning in the chlorine pump for warmer water now that the new roof is on)
CC=0
pH=7.5
TA = 60 (was 70 a week or so ago)
CH=160
CYA = 20 ( target is 25-30 added my last pound or so of stabilizer should boost it by about 4ppm)

Ike

Since the fill water TA is low, it's PH doesn't matter all that much. The much higher TA water in the pool will dominate the final PH. Because of that, your estimate of the PH of the fill water is going to be off, the actual PH must be much lower than you estimated.

There are any number of ways, but none of them use things you are likely to already have. There isn't much point in knowing the exact PH, with the TA that low, it really doesn't matter much as it will change at the drop of a hat. The PH is also going to vary over time, most likely seasonally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.