Which Variable speed pump to use?

G

Hello everyone, I'm considering an 18X36 inground pool, nothing fancy at all. Which is the best rated variable speed pump to use??? I was told by the builder that they use 1.5hp pumps. Single stage. I want to upgrade to variable speed. Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

It depends on what your electric rates are. If electricity is below $0.20/kwh you are usually best off getting a two speed pump. But if electric rates are higher than that it is usually worth getting a true variable speed pump. Many different pumps are available in two speed models. I recommend looking for one that is listed as energy efficient. For true variable speed pumps, the Pentair IntelliFlo and Hayward EcoStar are the two leading candidates.

When getting a true variable speed, remember that you want the pump and automation system to be the same brand. If you have or are thinking about getting an automation system that might sway your choice. If you have no thoughts of automation it isn't an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.