Opened My Pool Yesterday have a Question!

Tbell

Jun 20, 2010
Tennessee
Hope everyone had a wonderful Winter...glad to be back with all of you. Here s my question...opened pool yesterday And PH was 7.8 TA was 100...I thought great...then added 8" of water...tested this morning after pool was full and I know have a PH of 6.8 and TA of 70...But then checked the CYA which was at 70 when we winterized last year. Now checked it this morning and the black dot in cylinder never disappeared...I thought maybe I did something wrong so I did it again...still the same. How can that be possible? I am using TF-100 test kit. I am going now to up the PH which I know will raise the TA...Also added 6 182 oz jugs of bleach yesterday...pool was a pond when we opened tadpoles and frogs...the bleach did the job overnight...no more green but test for free chlorine this morning showed 0. Added 6 more 182 oz. jugs and now showing 5 ppm on the small check kit...will check again this evening and add more according to pool calculator....I just don't understand the CYA test not working. Any advice?

The test is very likely working...you just don't have any CYA. Not uncommon for CYA to disappear in a murky pool over the winter.

You could certainly double-check with another test at a pool store but that reagent is inert and I know of no reports of it going "bad"

Oops...BF beat me.

Thank you for the fast response....Last year it only dropped from 80 to 70 after Winter so I didn't know if it was possible for it to be completely gone. I am going to test everything again this evening and if it still shows nothing I will take a sample to the pool store. I am scared to death to add stabilizer as that is how my CYA ended up sp high to begin with year before last I was getting a zero reading and kept adding more. Ended up having to drain half the pool. I do NOT want to go through that again.

Just retested...all 6 bottles of 182 oz I put in the pool are gone....no FC! Re-did cya still showing 0 so I went and bought some stabilizer. My PH is now 7.2 and alkalinity is 120...do I need to add some borax before putting in stabalizer? and Can I add more bleach to shock with stabilizer or wait for the stabilizer to work first?

Probably. Bump up the pH. Use the PoolCalculator.com to see the effects of adding chems near the bottom and, adjust pH accordingly.

Yes, you can continue to shock while adding CYA. Once the CYA is dissolved, assume it is in the pool and adjust your FC shock level accordingly.

ok I added borax and 1 jug of 186 oz bleach...so I am assuming I wont get an accurate reading on the cya for 48 hours..is that correct? I will raise to shock level tomorrow evening because it is about to storm here.

Tested a few minutes ago and this is what I got after 12 hours of adding 5 lbs. of stabilizer. FC= 4.5 I added 1 ~ 182oz. jug of bleach last evening...PH is still at 7.2
TA is 120 and CYA test showed 40...I hope it doesn't go much higher than that. The pool calculator told me to add 7.2 pounds...I'm glad I didn't..went by the instructions on the jug. I am going to raise to a shock level of 10 ppm and retest this evening. Do you know how much more I can expect the cya to up over a period of 7 days? I hope I didn't add too much...I am scared to death of getting it too high. But at least now I am showing some and it's holdin the bleach. Any more suggestions would be appreciated...oh I also added 2 3" triclor tabs to skimmer since I thought I added too little CYA. Maybe I should go pull those back out????

I'm back again...after having my son vac the pool on Monday did test yesterday a.m. and was showing 0 CC and FC was at 6.5 added 182 oz of bleach then we had a big storm yesterday....readings last evening about 8 p.m. were...FC=7 ppm, CC was very very light pink, PH= 7.2 and TA was at 120...cya between 40 and 50. So I thought...shock! I added 2 -182 oz of 6% bleach and 1 - 96 oz. jug of 6 %...did and overnight loss test this a.m. and here are my readings now...
FC = 19.5
CC = very, very light pink
PH = 7.5
TA = 120
CYA = in between 40 and 50 mark...I'm going by the 50 ppm
So my question is this? Do I need to add more bleach this a.m. or wait until I test again this evening. I lost 3.5 ppm yesterday on my chlorine? Help???? And Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's normal to see the chlorine test go to pink after adding the R-003. Then you add R-0871 and see how many it takes to turn it clear again. If one or two drops does it, you're okay.

Every pool is different; losing 3.5 FC in a day is towards the high end of normal, but maybe not if there's been a lot of heat, a lot of sun, maybe some organics blowing (or washing) in, or people swimming.

Just add enough bleach to take it to the high end of normal. With CYA 50, that would be 8.

Also remember that whatever you vacuumed up is still in the system getting oxidized by the bleach, it's just not on the bottom of the pool. So if there were a bunch of leaves, empty the pump strainer.

Richard320 said:
It's normal to see the chlorine test go to pink after adding the R-003. Then you add R-0871 and see how many it takes to turn it clear again. If one or two drops does it, you're okay.

Every pool is different; losing 3.5 FC in a day is towards the high end of normal, but maybe not if there's been a lot of heat, a lot of sun, maybe some organics blowing (or washing) in, or people swimming.

Just add enough bleach to take it to the high end of normal. With CYA 50, that would be 8.

Also remember that whatever you vacuumed up is still in the system getting oxidized by the bleach, it's just not on the bottom of the pool. So if there were a bunch of leaves, empty the pump strainer.

Thank you Richard320...Not many leaves were in the bottom but you would not believe how many pine needles we dipped out of there and brain fart on my end...I forgot to add the drop of R-0871 to the pink...I'm sure I have 0 CC's now. I swear the older I get the dumber I get. So I need to let this shock level drop back down to at leats 8ppm then and stop shocking. There is still a little dirt on the bottom but the water is slowly clearing. I backwashed a little bit ago...there are a few pine needle in bottom skimmer. I will go clean those out again. Now I'm curious...I'm going to run another CC test. LOL. Thank you. And I will keep my normal level at 8ppm. I appreciate your help as always.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.