New DIY build in Oklahoma

That part there took 14 bags; I did the center slope today and should be able to finish up the shallow end Monday after work. I am sure I will have a half day fixing low spots and my mistakes. All in all I have learned that like everybody that touches pool krete or vermiculite I also hate this stuff.

Attachments

• DSCN1071.JPG
    DSCN1071.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 381
kponytail said:
kyle11 - If you buy from royal or if you did, make sure you inventory the small stuff. As I progress I am starting to find things they forgot.

coping clips - they said they wont send them
coping self tapping screws - wont send
1 out of 4 angel steel plate to attach wall panels together - wont send Had to buy from them $40.00

these are the small things that come all bundled up in one box and the inentory sheet they give you is terrible, Im starting to worry about what else they forgot to send.

We got our kit from them too and we also experienced missing things from the inventory, but they did send us what we needed. They forgot the face plate for the skimmer and a few other little things. I see you chose the Tidewater liner as well......love ours!

kponytail said:
That part there took 14 bags; I did the center slope today and should be able to finish up the shallow end Monday after work. I am sure I will have a half day fixing low spots and my mistakes. All in all I have learned that like everybody that touches pool krete or vermiculite I also hate this stuff.

You made great progress!

Two questions.

1. Is that pre-mix poolkrete or is it vermiculite and you mix portland cement?

2. ANY tips at all or things you would have done differently during this pool bottom process?

Going to be starting it within the next couple weeks. :)

ssgumby - It is pool krete, I paid $17.00 a bag. I bought 58 bags and have 5 left. It was not to bad to spread once you figure out the mix, I bought one of those lowes mixers and it worked ok. You could only mix one bag at a time, it would have mixed better in a paddle type mixer but I would have had what I paid for the mixer in rental fees. I figured I may use the mixer down the road or I could recoup some of my costs if I sold it.

If I could do anything different - I think I would have pulled more strings for depth gauge. I used some strings on the deep end and a 8' 2x4
For the rest, but I also took allot of extra time making sure the dirt was at grade and smooth when I was digging. It is also very important to mark the walls for the depth of the krete, I used a permanent marker, oh and I would not take my friend that is going to help me the next day out drinking all night the night before. All in all I saved $1800.00 and would do it again.

You aint a kiddin,

Here are some finished pics, I hope to install the liner on Friday if I can lure anybody near my house to help.

Attachments

• DSCN1072.JPG
    DSCN1072.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN1074.JPG
    DSCN1074.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 268
kponytail said:
You aint a kiddin,

Here are some finished pics, I hope to install the liner on Friday if I can lure anybody near my house to help.

Are you planning on putting a backing between the liner and your walls? I know the kit doesn't come with it (mine didn't), you have to get it from a supplier. It will help pad the walls some.

At least you're over the hump!! If it rains you shouldn't be effected to bad!

Can you take a guess on how many man hours did you have on the vermiculite floor?

Thanks for the pictures

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ChrisNC - I did it in 3 days, first day was 5 hours and I had 2 friends helping. The second day was 6 hours and I had my wife and son mixing the vermiculite, and the third day was 6 hours with the wife and boy on the mixer again.

Malibu07 - I ordered the padding as an extra with mine, if you have any tips on the padding I could use them as I will be installing Friday, thanks.

8corneflakes - I booked some friends for Saturday to help install the liner, any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Martha_D - I am super proud of my son, he has stuck with every day ( a 12 year old with good work ethics)

TXFamilyof6 - If you are referring to the collar around the walls I did it myself but I had the local concrete company deliver me 7 yards of concrete @ $98.00 a yard and it took about 1 hour, very easy to DIY. Now if you are referring to the pool bottom I had a estimate of $1800.00 and I had to supply the $700.00 of pool krete so I did it myself and it was far from easy but worth saving the $1800.00

Flatlander - Thanks, well we are close I am in Yukon. I gave up looking for subs they all wanted to do all or none so I just did it all myself, and the ones that would do just parts of it gave crazy high estimates. If I can help you out in any way or answer any questions PM me and I will give you my contact info. You started in the right place, this forum is a wealth of info and alot of good people I could not of done it without researching on here first.

I bet that is a relief to put the liner in and know that it fits....LOL
Your hard work is steadily showing rewards!

In your scenario, How high did you place the top of the pool walls above finish grade/old grade?

Thanks for walking us through your build with pictures!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.