Question on opening chemicals

chdolfnz

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2009
Lancaster, pa
It's been awhile since I was on here and asked a question (I guess that is a good thing!!), but I do have a question now...
I am opening my 24' AGP and just need a refresher on what order I need to get the chemicals in line after I get the water circulating?
I am on my 2nd year of using the AquaTrol Salt Water Generator (which I really like!!!)..so as far as chlorine (I will be using liquid to get started), Ph, CYA, TA, and salt..what should I do first, second, and so on?? My water is clear and will be starting my pump today.
Thanks for any help!!

Curt

Depends if the water's green or not.. and what the readings are when you start. You might need a partial drain. Let's be optimists and say the water is clear and CH and CYA aren't astronomical.

pH first.
CYA second- how much depends on whether it needs shocking or not
Bleach third

Low CH isn't a problem in a vinyl pool, but high CH can be. If it was way high, you've already drained some.
TA can wait until the other stuff is stable.

Then salt it as needed and fire off the SWG

OK...the water was very clear and I got the pump running yesterday and took my first readings:

CL..1.5
CC..0
Ph..7.3
TA..80
CYA..50
Salt..@1900

I added some liquid CL to bring it up the corresponding CYA level (6), and am going to add some Borax to get the Ph in range, then add some CYA to get it to about 80, then add some salt to desired level for the AquTrol, and I should be good to go!! I guess the TA is pretty close to being in range, so I will adjust that as necessary!
This was a bit easier than I thought, since my readings were not too bad to begin with!!
Now to get the temp up!!..it's a chilly 72!! (didn't keep my son from jumping in!!)
Thanks for your responses!!

Curt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.