Update on my Progress!

So I opened the pool Friday, and started the BBB system for the first time.
Pool was light green. No chlorine, and very HIGH ph. We are in "shock" mode now. Got my PH holding steady at 7.4 Maintaining a 20 ppm for chlorine/bleach. Adding/testing in the morning and at night. Every day less and less bleach has been needed. I am hoping this is a sign, I am heading in the right direction. My pool is now blue, but cloudy. Can not see the bottom yet. But I am being hopeful, as I was told it could take some time.

Loving the test kit (taylor K-2006) But the only drawback, is testing the chlorine levels twice a day, at such high levels I am burning thru the drops quickly. Any advice on the best place for a refills?

PS, We are having 90 degree weather, and the worst part of all of this, is the kids nagging to swim! :roll:

maryj0w said:
So I opened the pool Friday, and started the BBB system for the first time.
Pool was light green. No chlorine, and very HIGH ph. We are in "shock" mode now. Got my PH holding steady at 7.4 Maintaining a 20 ppm for chlorine/bleach. Adding/testing in the morning and at night. Every day less and less bleach has been needed. I am hoping this is a sign, I am heading in the right direction. My pool is now blue, but cloudy. Can not see the bottom yet. But I am being hopeful, as I was told it could take some time.

Loving the test kit (taylor K-2006) But the only drawback, is testing the chlorine levels twice a day, at such high levels I am burning thru the drops quickly. Any advice on the best place for a refills?

PS, We are having 90 degree weather, and the worst part of all of this, is the kids nagging to swim! :roll:

I just bought some 0871 from amazon (it has the wrong picture)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I ... 02_s00_i01

It was 12.50 for 2 oz (shipping included in the price).

My local leslies has it for $10 for .75 oz.

TFtestkits.net has the 2 oz for 9.40 + shipping

THANKS!!! March!!!! I ordered it plus went ahead and got some more Ph stuff too. As those are the two things I test most often. This way I am ahead of the game, if I run out, I wont have to drive far and pay expensive prices. I live in the country, and there is no "real" stores near to buy this stuff. At least we have a dollar general in town for an emergency bleach run! :p

Just me again, another question! *SIGH*

So I was very pleased this AM to find I only lost 80 oz of Chlorine over night. (started shocking last Friday) I have been pleased thus far with the BBB method, as everyday we have seen improvement in the pool water, and less and less chlorine added everyday. We finally are able to see the bottom of the pool. And was excited to test tonight. BUT.....My PH dropped a bit. I have been holding steady at 7.5-7.4 and now I tested at a 7.2
I am hesitant to add baking soda as the pool calculator recommends. As, I am still in "SHOCK" mode.

Plus I added the 80 oz of chlorine this am, to bring me back to the 20 ppm, and tonight I tested and It dropped to a 9!! Should I be discouraged? Am I missing something? We did get heavy rains last night, but I don't think it would have an impact?

Once again, I appreciate all of your help here. I just don't want to screw up and go backwards instead of forwards.

Re: Just me again, another question! *SIGH*

Did you have another thread with the back story?

I would have to say that you need to just keep that FC level up at shock level and eventually all will be cleared up. If you are worried about the pH, you could let the FC drop below 10ppm briefly to test it and then get the FC back up and make the pH adjustment based on that test.

In general, while shocking at 20 ppm there is no real reason to even test the pH.

Re: Just me again, another question! *SIGH*

I have a couple threads, but really the back story is, I opened my pool this year and said I am done with the pool stores. Found this site. Bought the taylor k-2006, and going BBB!. Pool was light green last Friday with well over a 8.0 ph level and ZERO chlorine.

I merged two of your topics. It is much easier for us to answer questions when as much information is in one place as possible.

What chemical have you been using to add chlorine? Also, do you have a complete set of test results, even if they are from before you started shocking?

I have been adding Bleach.(6 % - 182 oz bottles) And when I first got my test kit, Dave was so kind to get on the phone with me and tell me how to use the kit. Since I was at ZERO chlorine, He advised me to get the PH down, and just SHOCK!!! Worry about the rest of tests after I was done shocking.
Thats all I have been doing. :/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.