New Pool Owner = Many Questions

pmunda

May 20, 2012
Hello All! I am a first time pool owner and am ready to set up the pool for the summer! With that being said, I have a few questions I am hoping to get some help with.

First, a little about my pool. It is an Intex Ultra Frame (Rectangle) Pool. This is going to sound crazy, but I am not sure of the size! The manual I downloaded said that the that the 12x24 pool should have 18 Beams and U-Shaped Side Supports and the 16x32 pool should have 24 Beams and U-Shaped Side Supports, and well, I have 22 of each. I have 22 beams, side supports, and connecting rods, so I don't think anything is missing! I am planning on just laying the pool out in my driveway today to measure it and get the exact size. Oh, and the pool was given to me by someone, so there was no box or manual with it. Maybe it isn't even an Intex, but I am sure it is.

I was given the pump and sand drum filter as well. The pumps looks to be in rough shape, so I am probably going to have to buy another one. Along with buying a new pump I also want to buy the salt water system. I am looking at the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System and Filter Pump combo set listed here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V1H11M/ref ... wo=&hvqmt=

It is a 2000 Gal/Hr pump and is the topic of my questions. Could this be used with the sand filter drum or would that need its own pump? Would I even need the sand filter if I bought this salt water system? Is the gal/hr rate high enough for a pool of my size (which is TBD I guess)? Would I be better off buying a new pump for the sand filter and getting a smaller size salt water system?

I am not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to TFP!

The system you pointed to is a combo system with SWG, pump, and filter. However, the filter that is included is really not very good. Also, I recommend avoiding combo systems since one component always fails before the others do, leaving you will no choice but to upgrade everything.

I had a 18ft round intex pool that I was using the 2500GPH filter that takes the B filter cartridge. I also have the SWG on the system and never had a problem with the pool. I set the filter pump on a timer and had the SWG run for 5 to 6 hours a day depending on how warm the water was. This year I gave the 18 Ft pool to my neighbor but not the pump filter or SWG because I just got the 12X24X52 ultra frame pool and I plan on using the same pump that I had on the 18FT pool. The new pool comes with a sand filter but only 1600 GPH so I don't see the advantage. I wash out the B filters and use one for at least a month or more. I never had any problems with my SWG saying low flow or any problems that other people have had with the system. And the 2500 GPM pump and filter is only $92. Now back to looking into how to put up this monster pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.