Hello and Help Please!

Chiz

May 18, 2012
North Texas
First of all, Hello and I must say that this is the best site ever for pool stuff... I've been reading, reading, and reading but there is just so much information to take in.

Okay, I think I must have a mustard algae problem. My pool has been greenish (not too too bad) for a few days now and I've been really hammering it with care and attention.... And lots of bleach, lol. I'm thinking it's mustard algae because of the amount of chlorine I'm using and it's still trying to survive. Or my CYA is just too high and it's requiring more chlorine than I can imagine. I will post a picture of a strip of algae on one of my steps from this morning.

My starting numbers:
FC - 0 (I know I know... that's unacceptable)
pH - 7.4
TA - 200
CH - 450
CYA - 60

Now after a few days of treatment...

FC - 25+
pH - 8.0
TA - 225
CH - 400
CYA - 60

These numbers are from a recommended kit from here I believe. I bought it from Leslies. The pool is looking much better now, but I still got work to do. My plan of attack is to just keep the FC where it is and maybe bring that pH down, not sure how it raised on me... I've only added plain bleach. I apologize if the pictures turn out too big.

Algae.jpg

TestKit.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Don't adjust the PH while FC is that high. The PH test doesn't work at all at FC levels above 20, and won't read accurately when FC is above 10.

I doubt that you are dealing with mustard algae. Mustard algae is really easy to get rid of for a while, but then it comes back. The tricky part is finding a way to get rid of it for good. If you are having problems killing the algae in the first place it is probably regular green algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.