Landmark's pool build

landmark218

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 17, 2008
League City, TX
We started the pool building discovery process last summer and have finally gotten a design we are happy with. After seeing the designs done by several builders we were not impressed. The pools looked more like reused designs tweeked to fit the yard. Most of the builders we talked to did not do the landscaping. We finally ended hiring a landscape architect to design our backyard. One of the design challenges was the usable depth of our backyard. The lot is 100' X 120' but with setbacks and easements we only have about 18' to build in. So we could make a great lap pool but we wanted something with more shape. The first draft of the plan is posted below. We are pretty happy with it as is but there are some changes we would like to make. Now that we have a design that we can show to several builders we can compare quotes.

Design1sm-1.jpg

We would welcome any comments.

Mark

What are the depths at the different areas of the pool? I would expect the shallow would be adjacent to the beach entry, but I notice the steps are on the other side.

The overall length is 56' including the spa. The widest point is 26' including the beach entry. It gets narrow(as little as 10') at spots down the middle. The depth is 4' on the ends down to 7' in the middle area. I'm going to draw it out in the back yard to see what it looks like full size.

landmark218 said:
The overall length is 56' including the spa. The widest point is 26' including the beach entry. It gets narrow(as little as 10') at spots down the middle. The depth is 4' on the ends down to 7' in the middle area. I'm going to draw it out in the back yard to see what it looks like full size.

THATS GUNNA BE ONE heck OF A POOL. 8)

Wow,

I thought my pool ended up being big...

You'll be surprised how large that looks once they start digging the hole. It didn't really look like much when I painted it in the yard, but ended up that way when I stood in the bottom of that hole. You can see my build with the link in my sig.

If you want a lap pool though, I wouldn't shrink it any. Very nice!

Thanks for the comments. We want to be able to swim laps for exercise so the length needed to be over 40'. I am just afraid that it will look really narrow when it is done. Below is a 3D view of the design.

Belldiver: I've followed your progress and I am very impressed. I wish I had the guts to do it myself like you have. I'm a very hands on person. We contracted to have our house built and I'm sure the building superintendent was happy to finish because I was on site everyday to inspect what they had done.

PoolDesign3D3sm.jpg

landmark218 said:
We met with the pool designer in Saturday and got the spec's below. Is there anything that stands out we should be aware of?

Thanks.

Great design! I love the look (I like the rounded pools better). The bench down the entire side will come in handy also for those big parties where everybody just wants to sit in the water. You're right -- it'll look long and narrow, but that's want you need - a lap pool. I think you have broken it up nicely with curves, entrances, waterfalls, etc.

I would have another look at the spa, however. This is all personal preference, but the larger it is, tha longer it takes to heat up. It's a balance between how many people and how often it's used. I decided on a 7'-6" diameter spa (44 sq ft) as a good comprimize. Our PB said a lot of people were putting in 6'-0" diameter spas if they likes using it every day ot two. That having been said, I like the shape a lot -- the curves create a lot of seating space. With that many people in it the'll be fighting for the 6 jets...

Will the easytouch do macros line the intellitouch? If not -- you might consider upgrading -- I'm not done with construction, but look forward to having one button do three things (eg. light, spa mode, waterfall). I don't think it's a huge $$ upgrade.

I have been told that the travertine will do just fine as coping -- even with salt, but not to put it in the water all the time like at your waterline tile.

2 lights in the pool - definitely for a pool this size.

I'm a fan of shote-crete over gunnite. I believe it is much stronger and does not have the issues with rebound.

I don't have a beach entrance, so decided not to do this on mine, but love the idea of a couple shade umbrella sockets in the beach portion. Just think of sitting in a lawn-chair in the shade in 12" of water...

Steve

Steve: Thanks for the comments. The original design was with a beach entry leading to a tanning ledge. We discussed dropping the beach entry and just having a tanning ledge, but still undecided. The PB said it would save us some money and the beach entry really doesn't do much. We were also concerned about the size of the spa. They are going to tweak the design. I will have to read up on the easyTouch. Macros would be nice. We also want to control the landscape lighting. Thanks for the tip on the travertine. I've read bad things about salt and flagstone but not travertine. I will check into it more now.

I've been following your build and have been very impressed. I am amazed at the lengths you went to build a pool. I wouldn't have thought it would be possible.

Mark

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Joyce. We are still interviewing builders. They don't make it easy to compare and shop around. I will keep the topic updated as we progress.

Vandal: I asked about the filter size and was told by the designer that it was correct. I didn't get a good feeling that he was too sure about it though. I will search for filter sizing information but does anyone have a perfered resource?

I think your pool surface area is a bit larger than what ours will be, but we are going to have more volume.

Most bids I got had a 60sq. ft. DE filter. Ultimately I am getting a 72 sq. ft. Hayward DE (7220) and 2 speed Hayward Northstar pump.

Finally!

I guess nobody ever said getting a pool would be easy. After getting bids from 5 builders we finally selected Castle Rock out of Richmond, TX to build our pool. We are signing the contract this weekend. The design has been tweeked quite a bit but the general size and shape is the same.

Here are the new spec's

Pool perimeter: 135'
Surface area: 693
Max length: 45'
Max width: 23' 6"
Depth: 3' 6" to 8'
Gallons: 26,000

Spa perimeter: 18'
Spa surface area: 62
Spa size: 8' X 11' 6"
Spa raised: 12"

Ultimate Spa package
-8 waterway twin roto/roto jets in bench
-6 foot massage jets
-2 whrilpool jets with electric valve
-Whisperflo 2 1/2 HP dedicated Jet pump to bench jets
-Dual blower run with valve to direct air to foot or bench jets
-Pentair Easytouch 8 pool/spa wireless control

Pentair Master Temp 400K heater
Paramount MDX/SDX safety drain
Paramount ADR under deck drain canister
Waterway Renegade Skimmer w/oversized basket: 2
Auto fill system

6 bar 1/2" rebar beam 12" X 12"
3/8" rebar 8" OC walls and floor, 4" X 8" in deep end
Gunite shell 8" thick walls / 10" coves

2, 2 ton moss rock waterfall with 38' weeping wall

Pentair Intelliflow 4 X 160 circulation pump
Pentair QUAD 100 DE Filter with Multiport Backwash Valve
Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner with 3/4 HP Pump
Waterway Chlorinator & Paramount Clear 03 Ozone system

We are finally entering the building phase. The contract has been signed so now the wait for permits and HOA approval begins. The utilities have been marked so the builder is on the ball. I've posted so pictures of the pool area below.

Pool Entry where tanning ledge will be:
TanningLedgesm.jpg

Pool area. Length is 45' between stakes:
PoolAreaNWsm.jpg

Spa area:
SpaAreasm.jpg

Equipment area:
EquipmentAreasm.jpg

landmark218,

Waterway Chlorinator & Paramount Clear 03 Ozone system

I don't know if it is too late, but I would ask the pool builder for the deduct cost for the above two items. The chlorinator will use the chlorine tabs, which will continuously add CYA to your pool, although it might be useful for those times you are away on vacation. Ozone systems are not popular with TFP members because chlorine is still required as a sanitizer. Since chlorine is still necessary, of what benefit is the ozone system? Most TFP members are using the BBB system for pool chemicals, with the first B being bleach (also known as liquid chlorine, sodium hypochlorite, etc.).

Nice looking pool design, by the way.

I don't see any pool lights mentioned in your specification. Have you considered color changing or LED pool/spa lights?

On a separate note, do you think you ever might want to have a saltwater generator to generate chlorine?

Titanium

@Titanium

Thanks for the comments. We have never had a pool before so this is all new. I've read some of the information on this site about the BBB method but figured we would start out following the PB's recommendations. Then switch to the BBB method after learning more about pool maintenance. All of the PBs we interviewed advised us against using a saltwater generator due to the amount of MOSS rock in the waterfalls and flagstone coping.

The pool includes 2 500W lights. We didn't think much about different lighting options. Can the standard lights be replaced with LEDs at a later time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.