Landmark's pool build

Looks GREAT!

Btw, and this is just curiousity, how did you deal with the "rule of 45" or the 45 degree rule with the deep end of the pool being so close to the house?

The rule, basically as I understand it, is that if you make an 45 degree isosceles right triangle (two sides being the same length with the angles of the non-right angle being 45 degrees each) the depth of the pool should be greater or equal to the distance from the house. That would mean if the pool is 7 feet deep, you'd need it to be 7 feet from the house to avoid any foundation trouble. From the pictures, the deep end of the pool seems closer than the deepest part of the pool.

Did the builder account for that and if so, how? It's possible that I'm just missing the scale and you're fine. Either way you're fine with a REALLY fun pool.

I was just wondering if the builder mentioned it or did something to buttress the foundation in case the pool was inside the "rule of 45" range.

Be well all,
Mack

Mack,

You are correct about the distance of the pool from the house. Our yard is so narrow that to get any width the edge had to come within 4' of the foundation in some spots. We were concerned but in order for it to pass city inspection the PB had to get a structural engineer to sign off on the plan. Basiclly they had to put a double curtain of steel and extra thick coves in the areas close to the house. I hope everyone knew what they were doing because structural engineering is over my head.

Tom,

The water from the fill looked a little green. I'm glad we have a RO filter so we don't have to drink it. They came out yesterday to begin the startup process. Once everything is stablized the water should be blue.

When watering down the gunite for the first time, I also noticed a "greenish" hue to the water pooling up in the bottom of the gunite. I don't think it's the water so much as whatever is leeching off into the water from the pool. My wife and I are going to try and make it into Castlerock's office on Friday to pick material colors. I'm trying to get her to pick the same color wetedge as you picked out. Of course, whatever she likes......I'll like. :mrgreen:

Hey Landmark. Just wondering if you could help me. I have the same Pentair heater that you do on my pool. I have finally gotten it hooked up to the gas. It was hooked up by a plumber that is licesened to do gas as well. However, he does not know anything about pool heaters themselves so after he got it hooked up he said to call my pool builder to do the rest. I laughed and told him I WAS the pool builder. I did not know he had never hooked up a pool heater before. He did not mention that until after he was finished. He showed me how it is hooked up and there is a shut off valve at the house as well as at the heater. Do you happen to have any pictures that show the gas line going into your heater so I can compare them to mine? Also do you know what was done the first time the heater was used? I tried reading the start up manual but it was very confusing and just kept saying to get a professional to do everything. Any help will be appreciated.

The equipment pad has been filled, as well as piping pressure tested. The electricians were there today pulling wires and stuff. Check out the link to my photobucket account....

http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp22 ... 0Progress/

cword...the ground is still dug up so if you'd like and I can take more detailed pictures of heater hook-up (same builder as landmark and same heater I believe). Let me know....

at some point in the future I'll figure out what my signature will look like on this board.

James (the construction manager) came out on Saturday and got everything checked out before our offical walk-through (Pool School). The pool is fully operational and, with the exception of a few punch list items, complete. Our Sundek is scheduled for tomorrow. I will post more pictures when complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Landmark,
I've been following your progress and have decided to do the same! I would like to ask who you used as the landscape architect? I have a PB in mind, but would like to hire someone with more 'vision' that I have!

We are in Deer Park...Thanks for your advice!

We used Hamilton-Steele (see link below)who we saw at a home show earlier this year. They charged $500 for the design. In the end we didn't go with them to do the project because after 3 revisions to the pool design it still wasn't right. I think one problem was that the salesman acted as the interface between us and the architect. We never met with him so something was lost in translation. However I think it was worth it to have a good starting point to work with other pool builders.

Now that the pool is done we are turning our attention to the landscaping. We will look for a landscape contractor and use the original design as a guide.

http://www.hamilton-steele.com/index.htm

Good luck on your project.

Mark-

Any progress on your punchlist items? I think the next step for us is plaster/pebbletec. The wife and I have been coming home later than usual and I don't even run into the crew any more. It looks like the deck/flagstone is complete. Yesterday, they cleaned out the pool and spa drains and cut the caps off all the stubouts in the pool and spa as well. I was just curious as to how things were going for you at the end of your process since I'll be going through the same things soon....

Tom

They came out on Saturday the 11th and finished most of the punch list items. Then again on the following Monday to finish up. We are still waiting for them to finish fixing a waterfall leak and repair the mastic behind the flagstone they removed to work on the skimmers. I'm still having to add a lot of water to the pool. I know it's not all from evaporation because the area behind the spa and equipment pad is always wet. We haven't met Ted yet but hopefully they will get him out soon to look at it.

In the mean time we are getting bids on the landscaping.

Hi, Mark...so glad you're getting to the punch list...hang in there. OMG..you have an awesome pool...those nice waterfalls and rocks...I know it's been a pain, but you'll get there. :wink: Glad to know the Ultimate Spa is really worth it from you and Tom...it's going to be nice to sit in it and chill after a hard days work, with a frosty Margarita. Many thanks...Suz

ps..I'm trying to get myself organized to put up some pics of my build...Sunday or Monday. It's been kinda crazy in my world. :hammer:

Will do! Have pics of everything so far except actual work on the gunite...we were at work. Should be up by Monday...dang, this weekend is already too busy. I need a vacation to catch up :(. Sure would be nice to kick back in an Ultimate Spa about now...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.