TF100 question??

HuskerFan_1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Nebraska
Ordered the TF100 last week and found it very simple to use. The question I have is with the combined chlorine. The page that compares the test kits says that the TF and taylor can detect CC as low as .2. How is this possible when you can only add one drop of reagent and multiplying by .5? So far I've tested it twice and have only had to add one drop CC = .5. Am I only to shock the pool when it is greater than .5?

The other question is of calcium hardness. The solution never turned blue. I was up to 60 drops befored I figured I did something wrong.

Here are the results from the TF100 and the color q tester.

TF100

pH 7.2
FC. 3.5
CC. .5
TA. 110
CH ????
CYA. 50

ColorQ

pH 7.2
FC. 2.46
TC. 2.49
TA. 107
CH 309
CYA 49

I was questioning whether my color q was reading properly so i bought the TF 100 to double check it I am confident that my color q is fairly accurate other than pH. I am beginning to believe pool store tests were not accurate at all.

I am ready to begin BBB don't know if this is the proper forum for this question. Am I close enough on TA to add borax? I've been working at lowering it from close to 300 and have it down to 110.

Thanks for all of your advice so far. I'm looking forward to beginning the BBB pool program.

Thanks

Dan

The difference in the chlorine test is the size of the sample. If you use 25 ml of water, each drop counts as .2. If you use 10 ml, each drop is .5.

The CH test can take a long, long time. Try using a 10 ml sample, then multiply drops by 25 to get your reading. If your numbers are that high, does it matter if you're 620 or 625? It can take a lot - a whole lot - of swirling to get the color to change. I use a speedstir and it still takes a long time.

PS: if you do CH using 10 ml, it uses 10 drops of r-0010 and 3 of r-0011.

You only need to shock if you have visible algae and/or lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight and/or have greater than 0.5 ppm CC.

The primary reason for a calcium hardness test not to complete properly is metals in the water, primarily copper and/or iron. Add 10 drops of R-0012 before doing the test, do the test as normal, and add the initial 10 drops to the total.

Thanks for the responses. My refill water is high in manganese no iron in refill water, so I'm guessing manganese is affecting the CH test.

TA is now at at 90 any pH is at 6.9. Just waiting for pH to raise (aerating now) and I will then begin borating pool. Pool is crystal clear looking forward to the BBB method. :cheers:

Thanks

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.